Have Referral - Need Information

vquigley
on 3/17/06 9:34 am - Phoenix, AZ
Some of you may know that I have been working with Barix in Scottsdale and was ready to schedule a date for surgery when I was informed that my insurance company (Tricare)will not pay for surgery unless it is performed in a "center of excellence" and they are not qualified to do it because they do not have an ER or ICU unit. This in spite of the fact that Dr. Schlesinger has performed over 2000 RNY and LB surgeries. Needless to say, I was very frustrated and went back to my primary care MD and asked for a referral which I received today. My question is has any one heard of Dr. Rick Low, general surgeon? I don't want to have someone cutting on me that doesn't know what they are doing so any information would be helpful. In all of my WLS research I have never even seen Dr. Low's name mentioned. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Arizona_Sun
on 3/17/06 10:59 am - Gilbert, AZ
Dr. Schlesinger was my surgeon. I have not heard of Dr. Low. Scottsdale Bariatric Center (Dr. Robin Blackstone) is a Center of Excellence and she has a good reputation. She or one of her co-surgeons would have been my second choice. Where is Dr. Low at? Sandy
vquigley
on 3/17/06 1:01 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I have no idea where he does surgery. His practice is called Valley Surgical Clinic. My first preference is Dr. Schlesinger but I'm playing the insurance game.
Arizona_Sun
on 3/17/06 11:28 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Well, it sounds like you will have some serious questions to ask him about his experience. There is only one Arizona Center of Excellence listed via the ASBS site http://www.surgicalreview.org/locate.html and that is the Scottsdale Bariatric Center. I believe that I heard that there is another version of the Centers of Excellence being pushed as well, but do not know where to find their information. If your insurance requires a Center of Excellence then they should be able to provide documentation to you that he has such a designation (whi*****ludes extensive experience), otherwise their position about Barix does not make sense. Sandy
Sandy in Tucson
on 3/18/06 4:47 am - Tucson, AZ
St. Lukes for sure is a center of excellence and was so long before Scottsdale Bariatric Center qualified. Sandy in Tucson
Arizona_Sun
on 3/18/06 5:47 am - Gilbert, AZ
The only reason why I question it is because St. Luke's is not listed on the ASBS list. But, I do seem to remember that there is a second version of the Center of Excellence out there as well from a competing entity. Not sure what their site is though. I will have to hunt around and see if I can find that information again. Sandy in Higley
JRinAZ
on 3/17/06 11:19 pm - Layton, UT
Virginia, I know Bridges/St Luke's (Dr. Fank and Dr. Juarez) qualified last year as a Center of Excellence. I don't know if that status continues or not but would assume so. I do know (via word of mouth from their bariatric coordinator) that they take Triwest/Tricare WITH an out of network referral which must come from your primary care doctor. You can find out for sure by calling Kelly at (602) 251-8828. Good luck! Joyce
Sandy in Tucson
on 3/18/06 4:42 am - Tucson, AZ
that is Dr. Fang.....ok not not Dr. Fank at St. Lukes Medical, 18th and Van Buren, Phx, Az. Sandy in Tucson
JRinAZ
on 3/18/06 6:51 am - Layton, UT
Fank = Fang Thanks Sandy! I'm afraid if you follow me around correcting all of my typos; you'll have a full time job! .... I"m sure it would have made a difference in the phone call though. Joyce
Sandy in Tucson
on 3/18/06 8:56 am - Tucson, AZ
Joyce it is hard to do anything to correct you...you are already to perfect. Honestly, I think you the best. Sandy Dr. fang 11/04/04
Most Active