Just askin'

julieyoung
on 3/13/06 3:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi everyone! I don't really post but I read other posts about 2x week...I had surgery thru SBC on Feb 16th and then picked up a strep infection in the hospital so I ended up staying a week longer. But I'm home and back on track! I just wanted to know if everyone was on a soft protein diet for 6 weeks post op before you could eat any fruit or veggies or anything other than yogurt, cheese, eggs, tuna, etc. And did anyone get hungry? I've lost 26 pounds so far...does that sound about right? I'm so antsy to exercise but am also pretty beat! Also, any good substitutes for Isopure? I can't stand ANY of the flavors so I force half it down and then do an Atkins Advantage drink for the second half of the day. Just wondering what your experiences were! Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 3/13/06 7:54 am - Phoenix, AZ
Congrats Julie! I use Pro-Rated whey powder (I buy it @ Hi-Health) I love the Bavarian Chocolate flavor - but they have others as well. I couldnt stand the Isopure either - YUCK! Sounds like you are doing marvelously! Keep up the great spirits! Take it easy on the soft proteins - they have you do this for a good reason - listen to the doctors! Take care!
Sandy in Tucson
on 3/13/06 8:04 am - Tucson, AZ
I was told that Dr. Blackstone does not believe in protein drinks. Isopure is one of the best--I drank 2 a day for the 6 months post-op. they work and gte the weight off. they have ....zero carbs...zero sugars. Unjury is good protein www.unjury.com I prefer Unjury now at 16 months out Sandy in Tucson 175 lbs down
Do-over Girl
on 3/14/06 2:43 am - Tempe, AZ
Sandy--that is no longer the case. SBC is involved in a study with protein drinks and their patients post-op and they would prefer that all post-ops consume the isopure drinks to help them track/document for the study. I had great problems consuming the isopure and after meeting with Cassie and Dr. B was told the Matrix protein powder I buy online was ok for me to substitute. Each Dr. has different guidelines for their patients and they are willing to adjust as needed so that their patients can remain healthy, get adequate protein, etc. I found it was best for me to try trial size proteins supplements from an online source first till I found one that I could tolerate and then purchse it in a larger size. But you do want to let your surgeon/dietician know if you are having problems with the prescribed protein supplements. They may have other suggestions. Good Luck.
JRinAZ
on 3/13/06 9:03 am - Layton, UT
Hey Julie congrats on your weight loss! I think that sounds great for being such a newbie! .....I am so sorry you have to drin Isopure! I know there are a couple of people in the world you acutally like it but it gags me! I"ve tried several of their flavors but ...Yuck! If you are after a chocolate flavor then I would suggest Matrix chocolate. It mixes smoothly with water and so you don't need to worry about the extra calories and the lactose problems from mixing it with milk. IF you like a dark chocolate flavor then I suggest Champion Pure Whey Stack. It should also be mixed with water. You can try eitiher of the above as a "hot" drink like hot chocolate. I buy the Torani sugar free syrups and doctor mine up so it tastes pretty gourmet. You can buy the s/f syrups for under $5.00 at Smart and Finals. THe above mentioned mixes can be purchased at a discount at Nutrition Warehouses. Just tell them you are a WLS post-op and they'll give you the discount. If you prefer fruity flavors that are more like the Crystal light stuff then I recommend the Nectar protein powder by Syntrax. My hubby's favorite (he also had the surgery) is the Fuzzy Navel. It tastes a lot like Sunny D orange drink.... some of my friends love the kiwi strawberry. I kind of like the Caribean passion which is a type of coconut/pineapple flavor. They should also be mixed with water. Protein drinks should be mixed freshly and consumed within 30 minutes. You should only have about 30 grams of protein at one nutritional intake. OUr body sluffs off the additional protein but keeps the calories so just follow the labels. Any protein drink you select should have close to zero carbs per scoop, zero sugar grams, about 23 protein grams per scoop and no more than 140 calories per scoop. I would not recommend the Atkins drinks. Keep up the good work! Joyce
Most Active