Lap-Band in Arizona

Cess
on 1/7/06 4:56 am - Mesa, AZ
Hello~ I am new to this site. I have a bit of a history with WLS. I won't go into a lot of detail, but I had the RNY about 5 years ago and it was a bad experience. I am one of the few who actually had it reversed. I stopped talking about it after getting bashed by people who had been successful. I have never bashed the surgery and never will, nor will I tell people not to have it. It was not a good option for me. I have spent the last 5 years hiding from the world and I think it is time to step out again. I wish I had known then about the Lap-Band, I would have gone that route. I am now looking into it. I have done some reading. I went to one seminar but the surgeon was really pushing RNY over the Lap-Band. Has anyone here in Arizona had the procedure that I can talk to? Thank You~
Sondra J. S.
on 1/8/06 3:22 am - Show Low, AZ
Shelley, Hi, My sis in law just had the lap put in on Dec 16, but had hers done in Mexico, I have heard of a lot of great Dr's here though, my surgeon is in Flagstaff, but my ins co will only pay for the full RNY also. Dr Alderige and Dr. Berger is in Flagstaff and are very expierenced with the Lap procedure, Being in Mesa you may want someone closer to you, let me know. I can also put you in touch with my sis in law and she can give you more info on the band and how it feels to have that surgery and the feelings that go along with it etc.. Sondra
Trisha
on 1/9/06 11:59 am - Glendale, AZ
I had RNY, but I have met people on this board and in support groups that had Lap Band and had GREAT experiences and continue to lose. It's less invasive and has less side effects, that's for sure. My insurance (Aetna) didnt't cover it so I had to go with RNY, which I think was better for me personally since I had over 200 pounds to lose. Dr. Terry Simpson in Phoenix does lap-band I believe. I've heard nothing but great things about him. His website is www.drsimpson.com Here's a lap band forum on ObesityHelp.com you can post to: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/posts.html Here's a PARTIAL list of AZ surgeons who do lapbands: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeons+performing+LapBand+in+arizona.html This also has some helpful links at the bottom of the page and explains about lap band surgery in general: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/about.html Trisha
Miss J M
on 1/11/06 12:29 am - Sylmar, CA
Dr. Robin Blackstone is supposed to be one of the best on this side of the country heheheh. I am not saying she is because I have not had the band surgery YET but the Scottsdale Bariatric Center has been wonderful so far. Good luck with everything, no matter where you go.
Cess
on 1/14/06 12:59 pm - Mesa, AZ
Thank you for the replys.... Gosh, I have been so busy with work this week I have not been able to even read the boards. I did got to SBC and if I have the Band here in AZ, they are who I will go with. I did find a group here in AZ who went to a doctor in Mexico. I have to admit that concerns me and when i finally mentioned it to my family they freaked out a bit. It's bad enough for them that I am considering another WLS, but to travel to Mexico has them even more concerned, mostly because of the bad press and horror stories you hear about people traveling there for cosmetic surgeries. Anyway, I am self pay and you can get the surgery there for about half the cost. The other thing that stinks is that you have to go there for fills, so it may not be that much of an advantage. Miss J M, I just read throug your profile.... I went to SBC seminar and filled out my paperwork. I also had a hard time getting phone calls returned from them. She called and left me a message that she had come across some information she wanted me to know about before I came into the office for my consult..... well 5 phone calls later, I finally got a hold of her.... not encouraging... That was one of my big issues with my other surgeon. I was so so so sick and in and out of the ER and I could not get past the person who answered the phones to actually talk to my surgeon. Soooo that situation of not getting my phone calls returned really bothered me, especially since she was the one who left a message for me to call her! If I do this again, I want to know I can get help when I need it! Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone.....
Most Active