Great... Hubby is sick again...

Darlene X
on 10/26/05 4:35 am - Maricopa, AZ
We had some issues last week, a really sore tummy, couldnt eat, hurt to drink... he went to the doctor, they figured something had irritated his pouch--- most likely the hot sauce he put on his refried beans silly boy. Friday they told him if he wasnt getting more water in he needed to come back they didnt want him to get dehydrated. Saturday was much better, able to eat and drink again, everything fine since then..... UNTIL yesterday... Hubby had some albacore tuna in the fridge at work from the day before that he was gonna eat for lunch but it was too dry. There is a KFC across from his work so I suggested maybe he get some mashed potatoes..... he did. Except he got a little too happy and ate too much, and too fast...... He doesnt dump in the sense of puking, but since then his pouch has hurt bad, cant eat again, hurts to drink and when he tries he almost throws the water up. I wonder if he will learn???? I always tell him he's eating too fast but he doesnt listen. Anyway we are very worried about dehydration, he's able to get maybe 16oz in, if that. Looks like we may be taking a trip into the emergency room at St Lukes tonight, and get him plugged into an IV.
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/26/05 9:39 am - Prescott, AZ
Oh no -- I sure hope he gets better. Doesn't sound like fun. Hugs! Sheryl
Darlene X
on 10/26/05 10:33 am - Maricopa, AZ
Well we are off to the emergency room at St Lukes for an upper GI and some IV....
Marilyn C.
on 10/26/05 10:17 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Hey Darlene, Being that he is still new at this, is he eating with a baby spoon. If not, go get one ASAP. He needs to eat smaller bites & count to 20 in between the next bite. This will make him slow down. He probably did dump on the potatoes some people can't handle them in the beginning to many carbs. Go back to the refried beans and add a little water too them to thin them down. You can also try a warm liquid to help with the stuck feeling. He probably does have something stuck. He also need to sip the water he is drinking You can not ever go back to gulping any drinks like before WLS. It also may need to be room temp instead of cold. His pouch may not be able to handle the cold temp for right now. Hope he starts feeling better. & he gets back on track. By the way the hot sauce should not hurt him, just tell hime to ease up on it till his pouch heals from being so sore. If he wants to stop getting sick he will slow down the eating he is doing. That is the only thing he will have to do to get through this. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Arizona_Sun
on 10/27/05 12:25 am - Gilbert, AZ
If I remember he is not that far post-op yet. About a month? Hopefully he is following his surgeon's eating schedule (food types). The pouch and stoma can be quite tender for some time post-op, but it does get better. He just needs to listen to his wife and slow down the speed of eating. Also, he needs to focus on the fluids before eating so that he is getting them in. And, it sounds like he just needs to practice at planning ahead so that he will have appropriate food with him in case the original planned food does not work out for some strange reason. Is he doing protein shakes? These are extremely important to our long term health. I am almost 2 years post-op and I do 3 or 4 shakes a day for 90-120 grams of protein just from them. I have low prealbumin numbers and my protein and albumin are on the low side of normal so I have to focus on my protein very carefully. Hopefully the rehydrating will help him feel MUCh better. Also, the scope will not show any ulcers, but those are common in our group. I was put on Pepcid AC twice daily for my first six weeks and frankly I stayed on it for my first year. I have had no ulcer issues. Sandy
Most Active