What do you think of my idea?

Sheryl Tilley
on 10/21/05 7:23 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi everybody! I am in the process of establishing a non-profit corporation to aid in people coming from out of town for surgery, consultations, workshops and testing. I see so many are coming from far away and making many trips to the Valley. If they have to stay overnight, well between the gas and the hotel -- that's a lot of money. My Daisy House would also be available for people that don't want to brave the freeways on the morning of surgery that live within 25 miles of their hospital. My 'Daisy House' would have 4-5 bedrooms and be close to hospitals where the majority of the surgeries are taking place and people could stay there at no cost. I intend to do this with grants. What do you think? Hugs to all! Sheryl
anna
on 10/21/05 11:10 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
I think that is great idea, I know that I have spent a lot of $$$ going to Scottsdale in the last 6-or so months I hope I am all most done, this past week end cost me about $200.00 (not counting gas) plus have to go back next week. good luck Sheryl. hugs, Anna
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/22/05 11:55 am - Prescott, AZ
hi Anna! Thanks for wishing me luck. I know it's very expensive going back and forth -- not counting time consuming. What's the sense of having to brave the freeways and go into surgery all jittery? Or be late for appointments? I think I have a great idea. Hope I can pull it all together. Hugs! SHeryl
sallyann
on 10/21/05 11:08 pm - page, AZ
wow...great idea. you know I would love that. Its 279 miles one way for me. across the navajo reservation, through the mountains etc.. what kind of grant are you looking at? It costs at least 200.00 each time I visit Phoenix. Bridges has been pretty good about getting several classes and appts done at the same time but its still costly. How are you doing?? Your getting closer every minute...want to trade places? Take care Sally
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/22/05 7:18 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi Sally! Nope -- not trading places! LOL!!! I am so psyched!!!!! I really do think this is a great idea. I am looking through grant sites online for grants in the medical, women's social, respite, etc., categories. There is a woman in Tucson doing it for cancer patients that go down there for treatment. It's where I got the idea. When do you go to Phoenix again? I go Tuesday. Hugs! Sheryl
sallyann
on 10/22/05 8:01 am - page, AZ
I would love to meet you there Tuesday but im not scheduled / registered for that class. I would love to be there when you have your surgery but can't. I will be there for you in pray and well wishes. This is sooo exciting. Take care!! Sally
Marilyn C.
on 10/22/05 9:35 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Sheryl, It sounds like a wonderful idea. If you have the funds & the space than you should probably do it. God puts us on this earth all for a reason & you may just have found yours. It will help lots of people in the process Good luck with you plans & your up coming surgury. You will do just fine & be on the losing side very soon. Prayers for a quick recovery process for you are on their way. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/23/05 7:47 am - Prescott, AZ
Thanks Marilyn! I'm very excited -- five more days to go! Yesterday we were figuring how to get some houses donated to us or large contributions to go for a house. We got a good list of ideas. Sheryl
Kathy S.
on 10/23/05 7:36 am - PHX, AZ
Sheryl, What an awesome, thoughtful idea!!!! Would this be available to just your doctor's group or all WLS patients? Maybe with time there could be two or three of these in town located strategically near the hospitals. You are a VISIONARY !!!! SBC alone brings in patients from NV and NM! You might want to look into obtaining a non-profit 501(c)3 designation for DAISY HOUSE so that those donations and contributions are tax-deductible! Think outside the box and bigger than you can imagine! Keep us posted! Kathy
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/23/05 7:45 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi Kathy! Yes, this would be a 501(c)3. It would be for patients of all WLS docs. I have been meeting with a friend that is establishing one for Tucson. She had stayed at one for her cancer surgery there and we're brainstorming at this point with a trip to Tucson in the future to get more ideas. I figured that our mission statement could be based on the mission statements of the Ronald McDonald Houses. Very excited about this. SHeryl
Most Active