have any of you needed an endoscopy

Debbie E.
on 10/15/05 11:26 am - Surprise, AZ
I had my RNY on September 19th at St. Lukes in Phoenix with Dr. Juarez. I ended up in the emergency room at St. Lukes on October 10th and was there for 3 days. On the third day I finally had the endoscopy. Apparently I was supposed to be open at 12cm but I closed up probably due to scar tissue to 5cm. They opened me to a 9cm because they were afraid to tear it open. My question to anyone is if this ever happened to you? Did you have to go thru the ER each time? or were they able to schedule you for an emergency endoscopy? I know the endo department at St. Lukes and most hospitals are only open 8 to 4pm and not open on weekends. I don't want to have to sit for 3 days with nothing to eat and drink again until I can be scheduled for that procedure. I am really aiming for the answer from any of Dr. Juarez's patients to see what happens in this case. When I was discharged the Dr. said that now they know what is wrong if it happens again I will just be scheduled for an endoscopy. But I never asked him how long it takes to get it scheduled, etc. Can anyone answer my questions. Also, how often did you find you needed an endoscopy?
Jean C.
on 10/15/05 1:29 pm
Hi. I just posted about my own problems with esophogeal strictures. I had six my first year post op and they did not help to any great extent. I was initially constricted to about 3-5cms also. I have no idea what size the stricture is now and some days are worse than others. You are the only other person that I have come across that has had this problem. I can't seem to find anyone who will take me seriously, so I really just gave up. Please let me know how you are doing and if it improves, I amy truly interested Jean C
meachamw
on 10/16/05 3:19 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
I had my surgery July 11th. About five weeks out, I was having problems eating anything other than liquids. I was also having problems with diarrea, but that is another story. I had an appointment with the doctor for 1:30. I ate two bytes of a banana around 12:30, went to the doctor's office and threw up. They referred me for an endoscopy right away. That was on a Thursday. I had the endoscopy the following Wed. and they found that the opening was at 6 when it was supposed to be 13.5 They stretched it from 6 to 10 on Wed. and I went back two days later and they stretched it from 10 to 13.5 I've done great ever since. I still cannot eat anything with yeast like pasta or bread, but everything else that I'm allowed to eat seems to be doing fine. I had the first endoscopy at an outpatient medical center and the second one at St. Lukes. Same doctor, though. Neither one was through an ER. I hope you feel better soon. Bill
mrs.3m
on 10/17/05 1:48 am - Mesa, AZ
I had to have 5 endo w/ dialations in the beginging. I was closed to a 2, so it took 5 dialations to fianlly get to a 10. I had them both as a scheduled procedure and as an emergency procedure. My Dr. was going to do it until I could finally eat. Although I was in CA at the time, so St. Luke's may work differently.
Debbie E.
on 10/18/05 4:04 pm - Surprise, AZ
How often did you go between endoscopy's?
Barbara R.
on 10/21/05 2:14 pm - chandler, AZ
I had the same problem about a month or so ago. My dr is dr Fang (dr Juarez's partner. I called the drs office and told them that I could not eat anything and I was even having problems drinking. I went to an appointment that afternoon and had my endoscopy (at St Lukes) the next morning at 7:30 am. So far I have not had any more problems. Barb
Debbie E.
on 10/22/05 4:38 am - Surprise, AZ
Thanks for responding. I was told by the GI doctor that if it happens again to call him and he would set up an endoscopy and of course notify the Jr.Juarez. The problem is if it happens on a weekend or holiday I have to be admitted because you can become dehydrated. Were you told that? And I am glad to hear that you have not had to have another endoscopy. When was your surgery and when did you have to have the endoscopy?
Most Active