how vital are support groups?

simply_jess
on 10/6/05 6:18 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Throughout this process all I have heard is post-op support being so necessary. I plan on going to group support meetings, when and if I get this surgery (hopefully). I just want to know what patients feel about the groups, and not just what the doctor's and nurses tell me. thanks all (and I found a therapist.. she seems very accomadating) -Jess
Wendella
on 10/6/05 11:35 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hello I am finding that this board is my support group. I like that I can hear from others and be heard any time I need it. I do admit I would love to go to a meeting but work nights and have not come across anything during the day. I have also made a very good friend who understands the obsticles and I can call her if I need some one on one. So are supposrt groups vital - yes. But they can come in all shapes and sizes. Just like us!
mrs.3m
on 10/7/05 1:18 am - Mesa, AZ
Ditto to what Wendy said. I believe groups help alot. When I lived in CA I went to the one offered by the hospital I had my surgery at. I loved it. After we moved, I didn't find one right away, I needed to get settled first. I found one again recently and remember how great they can be. Even if you don't say anything, just hearing that other people go through the same things, helps. But as long as you have positive people around you who will support you, that is vital. I could not have done this without my husband. He is my best support group.
Stephanie J.
on 10/7/05 3:46 am - Tucson, AZ
It just depends on the individual. The two main things I think support groups are very helpful for are navigating a system that discourages you from getting the surgery in the first place and then dealing with potential complications afterward. Some people just sail through both and don't really need a lot of support. Others have more problems and need more.- Stephanie J
Trisha
on 10/7/05 8:40 am - Glendale, AZ
Well, I am kind of biased since I lead a WLS support group!! I for one think they are VERY important for PRE-ops as well as POST-ops!! I wish I had gone to some support groups pre-op, but I was not aware of any outside my hospital group. There are several in Arizona. The one I lead is on Saturday mornings, twice a month, near Metrocenter. In fact we are meeting TOMORROW!!! (See separate post about that!) WLS veterans/grads, authors and other patients have said over and over again how important support is. Going to face-to-face support groups not only helps you, but others. Even if you are having a rough week, month whatever, just sharing helps you and helps others know that we aren't alone!! Online support is great, but face-to-face support is wonderful. We need time to get away from work, home, etc. and interact with others face to face. It's "you-time". Trisha PhoenixWLS Support group - an ObesityHelp chapter - http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhoenixWLS/
Kathy S.
on 10/7/05 11:11 am - PHX, AZ
I can only speak as a pre-op patient.....the meetings have been eye opening. I see the successes and I see others who come with concerns which is typical in these groups. I have been welcomed and learned so much about the WLS process both pre and post-op! Try one and see what you think!
Diane P.
on 10/7/05 2:00 pm - Sierra Vista, AZ
Being almost 2 years post op I must say I loved the support groups I had attended. I started attending the support group 14 months prior to my surgery date. This was my way of finding out more information on others and taking notes the whole way through. It honestly helped me greatly prior to my surgery. After my surgery the response of the support group was so wonderful. I never was alone for a single day. Someone was always checking on me or stopping by. I continued my support group till we moved this past March. I truly can say it was great to attend and that I miss it so badly now that I don't have a support group.
Most Active