What should I take to the hospital for 10/10/05 Surgery Date

DacB
on 10/4/05 6:12 am - Mesa, AZ
Well I'm 6 days away from my surgery date, if all my tests came back good, which I'll find out on Friday. And I'm getting everything ready, cleaning out my kitchen and getting the liquids all set. But what are your suggestions on what I should take to the hospital with me? Also, what are your suggestions for liquids for the first 1-3 weeks. Any special things you did to mix things up?
mrs.3m
on 10/4/05 8:05 am - Mesa, AZ
What I took and USED at the hospital was my robe & slippers & a hair thing (to keep my hair in a ponytail). What I took and didn't use was a book, extra clothes, toiletries. The hospital I was at in CA provided all the toiletries (toothbrush, soap, washcloth, shampoo). I needed a brush and conditioner for when I finally showered. Take as little as possible cause you still have to lug everything home plus all the stuff they give you. I wore the clothes that I wore in, home. Definetly take something to kill time with, the days are long and tv gets boring. As for the at home needs....follow what your Dr's program allows. For me, the first 2 weeks were liquid only (this SUCKS big time) and that included water, sf jello, sf pudding, chicken broth, liquid from soups. And of course the protien mix of your choice. Hope this helps.
Wendella
on 10/4/05 9:24 am - Mesa, AZ
My favorite items were my slippers and robe. Good Luck
Darlene X
on 10/4/05 9:43 am - Maricopa, AZ
They ONLY things Hubby used in his stay was Chapstick (And only once right after surgery, so wasnt even worth bringing), sandals for when walking around the hospital floor, and toothpaste/tooth brush/Mouth wash, deoderant and shampoo for when they let him take a shower. We never used anything else the whole time we were there. The incisions bleed, so you may as well stay in their gowns the whole time (Which at St Lukes were actually pretty good, decent coverage LOL), magazines/books etc are a waste of time, you wont use them.
Brandy H
on 10/5/05 2:16 am - Glendale, AZ
i brought and used my chapstick, toothbrush and toothpaste and mouthwash (your mouth tastes HORRIBLE after surgery...just a warning!) my slippers. i wore the same clothes that i wore TO the hospital as i had only wore them for 2 hours. make sure that whatever you wear home is nice and loose and easy to put on. i wore my hair in braids so i was glad i had my brush and comb. and when you are feeling up to it they will let you have a shower so i would bring your shampoo and conditioner. (there were some in the showers but i am particular) hope this helps. brandy
Sheryl Tilley
on 10/5/05 10:07 am - Prescott, AZ
My surgery is the 28th -- and I'm going to slather my face and neck in moisturizer. I hear the surgery rooms are very drying. I love my Aveeno! SHeryl
Stephanie J.
on 10/5/05 10:54 am - Tucson, AZ
Yeah, just take the basics they're mentioning here. You probably won't even care about using half of those. Some people are noise sensitive or hate the t.v. and noises coming from nursing staff and neighbors. If you're one of those, I recommend a portable CD player with headphones with some relaxing music. You'll be going in and out most of time, so shouldn't care about a whole heck of a lot, though. - Stephanie J
Most Active