Hubby Fainted

Darlene X
on 9/23/05 1:01 am - Maricopa, AZ
Hubby had his pre-op testing yesterday at St Lukes--- of course he was fasting from bedtime Wed. Anyway he had bloods and a bunch of stuff done, but when he got the breathing test he was puffing away and blacked out. The guy with him (Jeff I think was his name) was a big ex-marine guy, so luckily he was there and Hubby was sitting cause you can imagine the damage a 520lb falling man could do!. Jeff said he was out for about 15 seconds.... he woke up dazed a little unsure of where he was. They helped him to the next test that he needed an empty stomach for, then gave him some OJ. After the last test on an empty stomach they sent him to the cafeteria....only their debit system was down, Hubby only had $1 cash-- so he was trying to figure out what he could buy. Luckily Jeff was there and intervened--- told them that Hubby was his patient and he needed some food BAD! So they gave him a free sandwich and bottle of water. He was at the hospital 6 hours, it was a LONG day! So Thankyou to Jeff at St Lukes--- whoever you are! LOL Hubby has gained 17lbs since his initial consultaion 3 months ago UGH, he is 520lbs. He is gonna do a liquid diet starting Sunday and hopefully we can get some of the water he is carrying off and drop some weight quickly. Surgery is in 5 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melissa P
on 9/23/05 3:25 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Darlene, I am sorry to hear that he had such a bad day. At least he is okay,and didn't hurt himself with the fall. Tell him good luck with the liquid diet. I knew some Shumways growing up in Phoenix. They were friends of my parents. I wish him the best of luck on his upcoming surgery. I checked out your puppies earlier they are adorable. My daughters name is Molly like your mama dog. Melissa
Ginger
on 9/23/05 3:49 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Darlene, Wow! what a day your hubby had! I am still pre-op without a date. I'll be going to St.Luke's w/ Dr. Fang also. I remember my son's pre-op day about 18 months ago. He also was fasting.. but he almost passed out with the drawing of his blood. They had a hard time finding his vein. When I heard the scream, my parental mode kicked-in and I darted in the room...I finally asked if they could get someone else in there to try jezzzz! Thank godness "super Jeff" was there to help your husband to get where he was supposed to get and get him some badly needed food. That certainly goes above and beyond the call of duty. Maybe you should write a letter to Jeff's supervisor to let them know about this great employee they have working for them. Does Dr. Fang require a liquid diet pre-surgery? Virginia
Darlene X
on 9/23/05 3:58 am - Maricopa, AZ
They had issues getting hubby's vein for the arterial blood, the one they take from the wrist directly from the artery. They tried twice on one wrist, got someone else to come in who tried twice on the other wrist, then they had another lady come in who got it first try. I think I might try snoop around while Im at the hospital with Hubby next week and find out who Jeff is and get some good words in! Dr Fang had origionally mentioned a 1 week pre-op diet, but when we got all the info it only mentioned the day before. Hubby is starting Sunday anyway to get 3-4 days in, get rid of some excess water weight he is carrying and shrink his liver. Darlene
Marilyn C.
on 9/24/05 10:59 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Hi Darlene, What is your husbands name? I will send prayers out for a safe & speedy recovery from his surgery. All Doc's are different & some have a pre-surgery diet & some do not. Tell you Hubby to be careful not to overdue to early As you don't want him to be weak to handle the surgery. I have heard that Dr. Fang is very good & your husband will be in very capable hands. Is your surgery still schedule for this week as well. Just curious! Marilyn, the Bearlady
Most Active