Sheryl Tilley
on 9/19/05 12:10 pm - Prescott, AZ
Hi everybody! How soon after surgery can I drive? SHeryl
Trisha
on 9/19/05 1:27 pm - Glendale, AZ
3-4 weeks is recommended. Trisha -101 lbs
Randi D.
on 9/19/05 4:21 pm - Peoria, AZ
Every doctor is different. I was allowed to drive after 1 week. Randi 360/238/130
Marilyn C.
on 9/19/05 9:55 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
I drove after 1 week as well, If you have to drive somewhere, just make sure it is not very far & it is a good thing to have someone with you if possible. You are still healing & could possibly hurt the incision areas. Hope you are still doing great! Marilyn, the Bearlady
cynthia E.
on 9/20/05 6:29 am - buckeye, AZ
Dr. Juarez had told me that as soon as you can walk straight you can drive. You don't want to strain your body to much. I drove about 1 week out. I made little trips. I would go to the grocery store and then further and further. It is scary at first. I drove with my little pillow on my side for about a week. After that scary feeling went away I tossed the pillow away. Keep that little pillow handy. It will help with the walking, sitting and sleeping. Are you going to have someone drive you down from Prescott for the surgery? Getting excited for you, Cynthia
Trisha
on 9/21/05 10:48 am - Glendale, AZ
I didn't drive the first week post-op just in case, but at about a couple weeks out I felt OK to drive. I just didn't want to ruin my operation. Crushing into the steering wheel in an accident is the issue, so just ask your surgeon and see how you are doing afterwards and go from there. They say 3-4 weeks, but most patients say less than that. It just depends I guess. Trisha -101 lbs
Do-over Girl
on 9/22/05 12:14 pm - Tempe, AZ
Not till you are off of pain meds. Personally, I was off them once I was released from the hospital but my attention span, coordination, mobility and thinking were altered from the aneshthia (sp?) and I waited till 2 1/2 weeks. And even then it was very short trips. I agree with another posting you do NOT want to risk an accident with the airbag/steering wheel and your recent operation. I was lucky enough to have friends and family drive me for the 2 full weeks and friends bring by things I might need rather than driving myself. If you can, don't ru****
shannonselleck
on 9/23/05 6:01 pm - phoenix, AZ
I drove home from the hospital... but my surgery was done lap... shan
Most Active