:help: NEED TO LOOSE 20LBS IN 6 WKS OR MY SURGEON WONT OPERATE

Anna Louise L.
on 9/10/05 7:14 pm - SierraVista, AZ
I DONT WANT TO TELL WHO MY SURGEON IS BECAUSE I DONT THINK IT IS ETHICAL, BUT I DO WANT TO SHARE THIS WITH YOU ALL. I AM GOING IN FOR SURGERY AS A REVISION (2ND TIMER), MY SURGEON IS ONE OF THE VERY FEW THAT DOES REVISIONS. HE TOLD ME HE WOULD DO IT. AND AFTER OF TAKING SEMINARS, GOING TO PSYCOLOGYST, PSYCHIATRIST, TAKING ALL TYPES OF TESTS, ONE WEEK BEFORE THE SURGERY, THEY CHANGE THE HOSPITAL WHERE THEY WILL OPERATE, THEN HAVE ME TAKE A FAST ONE ON ONE WITH THE PHYSICAL THERAPIST AND NUTRITIONIST OF THE NEW HOSPITAL. NEXT DAY AT SURGEONS OFFICE HE DECIDES TO TELL ME HE WONT DO IT BECAUSE I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT IN THE YEAR HE HAD SEEN ME. THAT I HAVE TO LOOSE 20LBS SO I CAN SHOW HIM THAT I AM INTERESTED !!!! YOU KNOW THAT IT IS HARD TO LOOSE THE WEIGHT, AND BECAUSE OF ALL THE OPTIONS WE HAVE TRIED, AND BECAUSE OF OUR HEALTH ISSUES WE END UP DECIDING TO HAVE THIS TYPE OF SURGERY/ ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE ACCEPTED. RIGHT NOW TIME IS MY ENEMY. I FEEL SO PRESSURED ABOUT THIS SO I REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTION, DIET OR COMMENT. I REALLY FEEL VERY DISSAPOINTED. h e l p !!!!!! thank you
Trisha
on 9/11/05 2:36 am - Glendale, AZ
I seriously do not understand why surgeons do this because if we were able to lose weight on our own we wouldn't be going to them for help, ya know?? My advice for a quick weight loss in short amount of time is Atkins. It's low-carb and you can't have any bread, potatoes, pasta, sugar, etc.. You may not have to lose "20" lbs by surgery but if he can see that you are able to lose a few pounds he'll know you are dedicated. I lost fast on Atkins but could not do it long term. Your surgeon didn't give you any advice on how to lose 20 lbs quickly??? I'm like if it's his idea, he should provide you with some tools and guidelines to go by. Sorry this happened. And my advice above it not all inclusive or medical or professional advice. It's just a suggestion for a quick weight loss. I gained weight too between my surgical consult and operation day. It's common, so I don't know what his beef is. And as soon as you lose 20 lbs, go into your surgeon's office and have them weigh you so it can go on record - you don't have to meet with surgeon. Just tell them you want to go in and do a weigh in with the nurse. They'll pull your file and you can just go in and weigh in and she'll record it and you can leave. That way it shows your weight loss. You are in my prayers. It's just an obstacle you have to go through in this WLS journey and you can do this!! Don't think of 20 as a number. He might accept 15 or so, just so he knows you want this surgery. You can do this!!! We are rooting for you 100%, aren't we board?? We are with you on this!! Keep us posted and don't be discouraged. Every cloud has a silver lining. Trisha -98 lbs since 3/8/05
Stephanie J.
on 9/11/05 6:49 am - Tucson, AZ
Trish's advice is very good. I'd follow it, that is, if I could keep myself from strangling the stupid sob and walking out of his office with my belly full of HIM as a last meal ("maybe with fava beans and a little quianti"!). Insisting that people who have failed at diets all their lives, go on a diet, especially after the fact of having done all the rest of the testing and with no warning that it would happen, is just plain ignorant, and in this case, even mean-spirited. Sometimes you just have to play along with the game to get your life saved, though. Take on that prisoner of war mentality and just grit your teeth and do it. Gut this one last injustice down (along with a lot of low carb foods), and in the long run, you'll be the winner. Good luck to you. - Stephanie J
Randi D.
on 9/11/05 10:38 am - Peoria, AZ
I am sorry to hear of your problems. I know the surgeon you're talking about and I changed because he was an abnoxious prima dona with a God complex. My surgeon was Juarez and he is wonderful. Switch surgeons asap and have the doctor send over your records. Trust me you'll be much happier with Juarez. Randi
lizarizona
on 9/11/05 12:01 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I wish you would share the initials of the surgeon... or if you would... write me off list. As someone looking at all of my options... I want to know. Especially since one surgeon made a smart ___ comment to me. Thanks, Liz
Kathy S.
on 9/11/05 4:56 pm - PHX, AZ
Let me preface my reply with the statement that I am NOT a doctor,nurse,dietitian etc. I need to lose 10% within the next nine weeks....I feel your pain! What I would say is that MD and nutritionist need to tell you how SPECIFICALLY to achieve this loss in six weeks. My game plan has been LOTS of water, no soda, zero calorie non-carbonated beverages, low-fat proteins,veggies and fruit with fat-free yogurt and cheese for calcium. My first weigh-in is next week....we'll see!!! I like Trish's advice about Atkin's - you can lose very quickly but that plan is hard long term. Move as much as you can! Good luck and know of my support for you! Kathy
Arizona_Sun
on 9/12/05 12:26 am - Gilbert, AZ
Let me understand this correctly, he is doing a revision because your first surgery FAILED. Correct? How can he expect you to NOT gain weight in that year? You would not be talking to him about a revision if your surgery had not failed. What a horse's A** this guy is!! He is performing revisions and does not understand why?! You have a couple options. 1) find a new surgeon who actually understands this 2) tighten up and grit it through the 20 pounds until your revision happens - document every bite that you eat along the way. When you next see him, take your daily diary of what you are eating to help him see that you have indeed tried to comply. If necessary, ask him why you would want a revision if your surgery had not failed you (as evidenced by poor weight loss and even weight gain). Drink LOTS of protein shakes as part of preparing your body for the upcoming surgery as well (I am assuming that this jerk does believe in protein shakes, not that is another strike in my mind). Keep in mind he may be looking for good faith effort and not an exact 20 pounds, although I would not swear to that. Sandy
Sandy in Tucson
on 9/12/05 12:44 pm - Tucson, AZ
Dr. Fang does revisions...I am living proof. I never lost a lb before surgery...actually gained 10 more lbs. I am 135 lbs down...Dr. Fang is very excited over my weight loss, since revisions usually do not do as well as regular RNY patients. I would say Dr. Fang or Dr. Juarez are excellant surgeons and they both do revisions. Sandy in Tucson 340/205/150 november-4-04 Rny--open
Marilyn C.
on 9/12/05 10:48 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
Anna, I was just wondering when you had your original surgery & what type of surgery was it. It is common practice not to have the same surgeon who did the original to do the revision ( they don't like to admit they did something wrong) So you might want to re-think the Dr. you are having do this. I am not saying they can't do the revision, it's just not a good idea. Think about it, you might take a few weeks out of your life to change now, but, you may not have to try & lose weight before the surgery is re-done. 2nd, I agree with the other Low-carb & very little or no carbs is the only way to lose weight quickly. go back to three meals a day no snacks & make them small meals. You might even find that the tool still works for you & you won't need the revision. I know that it's hard but, try & think are you doing everything you can to make this work for you. Exercising every chance you get, Drinking at least 64 oz. of water a day & are you eating only 3 times a day. I am 18 months out & still fight the last 50 lbs. So I no it can be very hard. I also no that I can do more to get to that goal if I really want to. I have had a lot of stress in my life lately & I also no that is an excuse, but I don't think I need a revision, I just have to go back to basics & get it done. Good luck & I hope you can get what you want. Marilyn, the Bearlady
Donna P.
on 9/13/05 6:50 am - Taylor, AZ
I think I know the Dr. you are talking about, if so he did my first surgery in 1982. It worked for about 5 years then the weight started coming back. I finally went in to see this Dr. again about a revision and he was so rude. I was at 303 at the time and he gave me a lecture about why I had not come back to him when I was back up to 175. I told him it was because of the same reason it had taken me 10 years to come back, I knew he would be jerk about it. SO I decided to try Dr. Juares and Im glad I did because he was very understanding and helpful. My advise is that if your insurance has approved it, they will let you change Dr's because you feel more at peace with one that understands how you feel. My revision was 8/11/05 and I have lost 32 lbs. Alot more to go but a good start. Good luck with which ever decision you make. Donna
Most Active