NAUSEA

AzJul
on 8/4/05 1:23 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I am almost 4weeks post-op open RNY and I have nausea every day. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or even IF I eat - the nausea is almost constant. It's like morning sickness and it's getting pretty old at this point. Did anyone else have this problem? Do you have any suggestions of what I can do to help the nausea? Will it go away? Thanks - Jul in Phoenix
Ginger
on 8/4/05 10:29 pm - Chandler, AZ
Hi Jul, I haven't been approved for my RNY as of yet but, my son had the surgery on Feb 20, 2004. My son was 22 at the time and he complained about those very same feelings of nausea--all the time for about the first 2 months. I worried and worried about it because he just wouldn't go back to the dr. and see if this was normal and let's face it--I couldn't make him if I tried. My son lived on Cherry Liquid Mailox by the gallons! That really helped him. By the 3rd month those morning sickness feelings went away and the weight began to drop too! I hope this was helpful and that you can see a little light at the end of the tunnel. Have a great day--you deserve it!
AzJul
on 8/5/05 1:34 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the reply, it helps to know that I'm not alone. And it also makes a big difference to know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Sandy in Tucson
on 8/4/05 11:08 pm - Tucson, AZ
Nausea is sign of severe dehydration........you need to drink more.....sorry. you need that 62 oz of water in everyday. It's alot to ask for at first. Now, I was told for me 62 ozs is not enough, I need one gallon of water per day. I guess I will never eat. Sandy in Tucson 123 lbs down.....Dr. Fang--Rny---11/04/04
AzJul
on 8/5/05 1:32 am - Phoenix, AZ
Wow - I thought I was drinking enough water, I'll increase it today and see how it goes. Thanks for your help. Another question - did water make you nauseated at first too? I find that when I'm drinking water, I feel really sick. I force it down, but it doesn't feel good.
cynthia E.
on 8/5/05 5:21 am - buckeye, AZ
Jul My girlfriend was feeling the same way after her surgery. It ended up being the milk she was drinking. She ended up being lactose intollerent after her RNY. I didn't get lactose intollerent until after I got my gallbladder out. I did talk to Dr. Fang. He told me to stay away from milk. Cottage cheese and yogurt doesn't give me nausea. I still eat plenty of that. If water tastes or makes you feel yukky. Maybe try some lemon in the water or sugar free drinks. Hope this helps. Cynthia
Apostolic G.
on 8/5/05 2:18 pm - AZ
Hi, I was the same way, Dr. had me just sip on hot tea and that did help me. The hotter the better.
Marilyn C.
on 8/7/05 12:07 am - Bullhead City, AZ
HI, Yes it will go away & drinking water you need to drink it slow. Don't gulp it in the beginning. It will get easier as time goes on. Try Crystal Lite with a little extra water mixed into it, its not quite as strong and goes down a little easier. Good luck & don't forget to eat SLOW and chew, chew, chew your food. That will go along way in helping the Nasua too! Marilyn, the Bearlady
Trisha
on 8/8/05 5:10 am - Glendale, AZ
The first 3 months post-op I threw up a lot. Not dumping. It was just throwing up. Sometimes it was because I ate too fast, didn't chew enough or drank too close to eating time. Other times it was because I wasn't drinking enough water throughout the day so when I ate the mucus in my stomach caused stomach upset when I ate (foaming/frothing) so I learned that drinking hot tea or ho****er with lemon 20 minutes before eating dissolves the mucus down there and you are able to eat. Now if you have a stricture - very common post op - they can fix that through an endoscopy. Your surgeon can tell you all about that. Have you been keeping your surgeon informed of how often you throw up? You need to do that. They want to know that - especially this soon post-op!!! Call them and let them know! I hope you get to feeling better soon and keep food down. It's no fun throwing up everyday!! But after the 3rd month it gets better, but until then you have to follow the rules to the tee and get in as much water as you can between meals but not too close to meals, but 20-30 minutes before a meal drink hot tea or ho****er with lemon to help melt/dissolve the mucus in your pouch and then you can eat. It's a whole ordeal, I know. You aren't alone!! Trisha
Trisha
on 8/8/05 5:10 am - Glendale, AZ
Another option is, maybe you aren't eating enough?
Most Active