Low Blood count. Surgery cancelled

Marie F.
on 7/13/05 6:11 am - Glendale, AZ
I was scheduled for the lower body lift June 29 and right before I was to be wheeled in surgery, My PS cancelled due to my blood level was 9.6 and he wants it up to a 12. Since that day, I saw my primary care Dr. and I've been on iron and rescheduled for my LBL on the 25th of July. But Im afraid my blood level still wont be up to a 12. Im getting very little cooperation with my primary care physicians office. Last week when I went in, I saw the nurse practitioner because my Dr. was on vacation. He knew my problems and concerns. He had me go to the lab to retest my blood but didn't order the hemoglobin . How could he not think that was a vital concern? Im just so upset that at this time Im at the mercy of these people and don't know if its a good time to switch Dr.s. So now if my blood level isn't up, this surgery will be cancelled too! Im just venting and very frustrated not to mention concerned with my Dr. office. Thoughts?
Texas Girl
on 7/13/05 7:10 am
I am so sorry to hear this...hope you get rescheduled for surgery soon. love Connie, Ft. Huachuca, AZ
Stephanie J.
on 7/13/05 2:35 pm - Tucson, AZ
What a pain! It sounds like you're already up on your own bloodwork, but I always tell people to get copies and do their own analysis and not depend on the doctor to spot the flags as many doctors don't. I had to self-diagnose not only my low iron, but also the need to decrease my synthetic thyroid hormone dosage. My D/O missed both flags completely! I keep a file of all labs since pre surgery to compare and always check for what the lab may have flagged or what my be close to flaggable numbers. Good luck on getting healthy enough to have your surgery and on either educating your Dr. or switching to another. - Stephanie J
Do-over Girl
on 7/13/05 3:43 pm - Tempe, AZ
Hang in there Marie!! I agree wholeheartedly with SJ...you have to be your own best advocate. I have been chronically ill for 33 yrs (since age 11)...one of the few things I have learned along the way is to also ask for copies of my labs, go in with a note pad/pen and my questions written out ahead of time and not leave till all my questions have been answered. Perhaps your PS can double check your labs??? You want to be in the best health possible before having your PS...and low blood count is a vital concern before having surgery since there is bound to be some blood loss during the surgery. >
Most Active