Hello All

CrawfordS
on 7/11/05 9:22 am - Phoenix, AZ
I live in Phoenix, had RNY with Dr Newhoff May 16th and have almost lost 55 lbs. It's so hot outside I am not walking at all. I have major issues with the protien drinks, so I quit drinking them three weeks ago. Im scared, I am going to start taking my vitimins again tonight. Can eat a little but didnt get much guidance from the Doc's office any help would be great, just someone to talk to. I am a single mom with three kids. Susan
Do-over Girl
on 7/11/05 1:16 pm - Tempe, AZ
Hi Susan...congratulations on your surgery! I'm still a pre-op...but protein is vital. There are a number of different protein drinks available...hopefully another of Dr. Newhoff's patients can make a suggestion? And/or attend the support group that Trisha is involved in might be a good source of info as well. Have you thought about walking inside the air-conditioned malls?? Many have walking programs before/after the Mall opens if that is an option for you....they even can tell you how much distance it is inside the mall.
CrawfordS
on 7/12/05 2:34 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for your suggestions. I probably wont be attending support groups unless they are on weekends. With three kids one with Autism my time is currently over booked!! LOL I should go to the mall.....thank you. I have spent hundreds of dollars on protein drinks. In my opinion they all suck!! Well first off I could not take milk so I mixed with water and I think that ruined me for good.....I know I will have to incorporate them sooner or later. For now I am actually going to try and eat real food. Good luck to you, it's scary I know but soon enough you will forget the pain and begin. I love knowing I made this decision. I wish you all hte luck in hte world. Where are you having your surgery and who with?
Trisha
on 7/11/05 4:18 pm - Glendale, AZ
You are far enough out now you can do protein bars if you are sick of protein mixes. I know I went for a month or so with no protein drinks because I was so sick of them. You aren't alone! Just eat protein rich foods and stock up on some protein bars. The Power Crunch bars are my ultimate fave!! And now I see we can get them at The Vitamin Shoppe! But go to a health food store, Wild Oats, Sprouts or Trader Joe's - these kind of stores have the BIGGEST supply of protein bars and just buy a few different kinds/flavors and see which ones youl like. Protein is very important though!! Don't get scared or discouraged!! I'm glad you posted! There's times Ill look at the clock and it's 10pm and I'm like - OMG! I didn't have enough protein today. So I just up it the next day. I haven't walked in over a month (been getting my exercise at the water park I have a season pass to), but I finally went out tonight with my dog and we went out around 9pm - it's cooler then and doesn't knock the wind out of you. Try going in the early morning or late evening. Work some exercise in somehow. Even if it's just dancing in the dark in your room to the stereo. LOL Exercise is so important because as we lose fat we can also lose muscle which is not good for us. So exercising while we lose weight helps us retain the muscle and burn more fat. I've been lax on exercise too lately becuase of the heat, but I'm motivated again to get my body moving somehow, some way. Even at work, I was thinking I'd do some stairs for about 10 mins at a time to get my heart pumping at work. For a while I was taking stairs frequently a couple months ago, but these last few weeks I have been taking the elevator (I work on 2nd floor) and tomorrow I plan on taking the stairs again - it's tough going up (28 steps), but the more I do it, the less out of breath I'll be down the line. That's my goal. So hang in there! I'm glad you posted! Hugs, Trisha
CrawfordS
on 7/12/05 2:30 am - Phoenix, AZ
Im so glad to know I'm not alone. I was at Frys last night and picked up an Atvantage protein bar. It was good, but could only eat about a 1/4 of it. I need to start eating food. I have had chicken from the barbacue and it was fine..I had a pork chop well....a few bites that I had made with a mushroom soup sauce and that was fine. I dont know what I'm so worried about. I told my sister that Im pretty sure I will be the only one who has had this surgery and wont loose any weight! LOL She said, "No you are not that special!". LOL I hope I'm not for the first time in my life! I have a Gazelle Glider and I get on that a few times a day for 10 mins. Just no outside walking. And to be honest my heart thumps when I stand to long..... I will start to take the vitamins today again, I Know that's dumb. Trisha you look great and everyone here inspires me. I wish I would have taken more time off work. You would think that having hte job I do ( Scottsdale Culinary Festival) that I Would be more incline to eat at least something! LOL Well we will see where my willpower is next April when all the Chefs pour out!! At least the french Chefs are big on ultra small portions! Thank you for responding...it means alot to me.
Marilyn C.
on 7/11/05 11:46 pm - Bullhead City, AZ
There is a lot of people out there that in the beginning can not tolerate the protein shakes. You can cut them in half that sometimes helps in the beginning as well. EveryDoc is different in this.You can get most of your protein in Food form You do not have to drink shakes to get it all in. I never drank a shake till recently. & I lost 140 lbs so far You can see my before picture behind the new me as you read this. You should be concentrating on tryin to eat real food now. Stay with chicken or Fish as Beef will probably give you probelms. I lived on Gound Turkey in the beginning with a little gravy mixed with it to keep it moist. I startedz. & worked up to the 4 oz servings. You are doing great losing 55 lbs. Hang in there It will continue to drop. You have to walk somewhere get a Video & walk in you own house. It just moving your body. it doesn't have to be a lot just 20 minutes a day. Marilyn, the Bearlady
cynthia E.
on 7/13/05 5:11 am - buckeye, AZ
Susan; Wow 55 lbs is great. Congratulations! Please, make sure to take your vitamins daily. Don't want you to get malnurished or have a vitamin deficency. That is the one thing I make sure I take daily. I am 7 months post op. I still don't get all my calories in but I make sure to get my protein and vitamins in. I don't want the hair loss back and tiredness. My weight loss is slower then others because I am not hungry and don't get my 1000 calories in daily. I do exercise but I rather drink with the heat then eat. I hear you on the protein drinks. I have tried several kinds. I finally found the GNC soy protein unflavored powder. It has 26 grams of protein for 2 small scoops. I can't have milk so I put it into my yogurt and cottage cheese. This runs about $13. keep up the good work! Hope this helps. Cynthia
CrawfordS
on 7/13/05 5:19 am - Phoenix, AZ
To be honest and why not........I have not taken vitamins in three weeks either. I know I need to. MY hair is dry but not falling out. Im scared I was on a checmo drug a few years back and lost a ton of hair so its a fear that will help me back onto vitamins and hopefully protein. I ordered a salad and it's working fine. Although I could eat off of it for a freakin year..LOL It feels good to eat human food. Could never blend anything....If I come online every day it keeps me going. Thank you so much for your response. I will try GNC, everytime I go they are closed!! Man it's HOT today!!!
Most Active