6 Months Req Dieting.

Darlene X
on 7/7/05 7:30 am - Maricopa, AZ
I just had a random question. I dont think our insutance policy requires this... but I was thinking... The insurance companies that do want 6 months medically supervised diet & weigh in's........ My husband is 500lbs, no one (Except St Lukes Hospital) has ever had a scale large enough to weigh him.... which would mean monthly weigh in's, and keeping a record of weight lost would be impossible with a nutritionist or regular doctor. So you could have documented visits, but not documented weights or confirmation of loss.... What do you think one would do in that situation? Would an insurance company take that into consideration? Did everyone need the 6 month dieting req on their insurance? When my husband called, they didnt state its a requirement for us on UHC Plus POS
Kabaa
on 7/7/05 8:56 am - Tempe, AZ
Hi Darlene Please read my message left at this a.m. titled, "Ins. approval tip." Your question is what I wrote about. I've been working toward surgery for one year....I am finally waiting to be approved. Until last week my surgeon's office never mentioned that I would need to have the diet history. Interesting omission since that office works with my insurance company all the time. As to the Dr. not having scales that go high enough for your husband....just thinking out loud....perhaps husband could arrange for weigh ins at his surgeon's office, get a note from them and take it to his primary to monitor the six months.... this is an excellent question for the insurance company... As I said before, with 20/20 hindsight I would never wait for either the insurance or the surgeon to ask if you've done the "medically supervised diet." If I could start over I would rush to my primary and begin a weekly weigh in the same day I made the decision to have surgery. I am sure you will get many responses from people with more experience than I. Hope something here has helped. Best of luck. Fran
Most Active