Stop taking any meds?

Donna P.
on 7/5/05 4:28 am - Taylor, AZ
Is there anyone who was told to stop certain meds prior to surgery? I am thinking about my consult and it was mentioned to stop pain pills(advil, ibeprofen). Does anyone have any info on that. I take 2 advill everyday for my knees. Thanks in advance for all the help. 44 days and counting. Donna
cynthia E.
on 7/5/05 4:59 am - buckeye, AZ
I was told that Ibeprofen is a blood thinner. I had to stop taking it 2 weeks before surgery. After surgery you will only be able to take Tylenol. Ibeprofen will upset your new pouch. Hope this helps. Cynthia
Trisha
on 7/5/05 10:47 am - Glendale, AZ
Post-op you can not have ANY Ibruprofen or NSAIDS (aleve, motrin, etc.). It can kill your pouch. Seriously. I think I was told to stop taking meds 2 days prior to surgery, but for the pill, I know they say to stop that about a month before surgery. Talk to your surgeon to see what meds you can start taking now for your knees besides NSAIDS because in 44 days you will no longer be able to take NSAIDS. Congrats on your surgery date coming up! 44 days! WOW!! Seems like so far away but it'll be here before you know it! Very exciting! Hugs, Trisha
Bud E.
on 7/6/05 4:35 am - Maricopa, AZ
Excellent advice I was taking an NSAID - Relafen - for severe foot problems before surgery. The fact that this was an NSAID kinda slipped through the cracks and here I am, 6 mos post-op, 130lbs down and on disability because I can no longer stand long enough to do my job The OP needs to have a new treatment lined up before surgery! BTW, I do not regret the surgery in any way! Just frustrated with the foot issue! -Bud
Most Active