HAIR LOSS BEFORE SURGERY

sgirl
on 7/2/05 2:01 pm - tucson, AZ
Did anyone have problems with brittle or hair loss before surgery? Did it change after surgery (improve, worsen, grow back better, etc...) Thanks for your replies.
Brandy H
on 7/3/05 2:01 am - Glendale, AZ
i haven't had surgery yet (i will in 5 days) so i can't tell you from experience as far as being post op. however, i do have a little experience with hair.(i have been a stylist for 13 years) first a couple of questions, is your hair brittle due to chemical treatments i.e. coloring, perming, highlighting, etc? and the hair that you are losing does it have a root ball on it? if your hair is brittle/dry due to chemicals you need to be using a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. if you are using a protein based shampoo/conditioner then that can cause the hair to be brittle also. and if the hair that you are shedding has no root ball then that means that is breaking and is "external" in other words it is breaking off due to varying factors including: too much protein in shampoos/conditioners, too hot of irons/blowdryers, chemical damage caused by perms or coloring. now, if the hair that you are losing has a root ball on it then that would mean that is loss from something "internal" meaning diet, nutrition, hormones, vitamin deficiency. and if that is the case i would recommend taking a healthy hair supplement best choice would be biotin. there are lots of hair/nail vitamins out there but make sure the main ingredient is biotin. also, there is a great product for hair loss called Nioxin they have shampoos, conditioners, and scalp treatments. Many salons will carry Nioxin if your salon doesn't ask them where they think you could get it. or ask your stylist if she/he could order it for you. i see you are from tuscon so i don't know where to tell you to go. the place that i can get it is called westcoast beauty supply but you have to have a license to get it. hope this helps! brandy
sgirl
on 7/3/05 2:57 am - tucson, AZ
Brandy, thank you so much for all the information you gave me. Do you think if it is internal that tweeking my natural progesterone pills will help? Also, have you heard of Bosley Hair Centers? I got some information in the mail on them, and it seems very promising, what do you think? Thanks again Brandy, you are very helpful. P.S. What is a root ball? sally
Brandy H
on 7/3/05 6:01 am - Glendale, AZ
hi Sally, a "root ball" is the little ball or bulb on the end of a hairstrand. it is the part that comes out of your head. do this: run your fingers through your hair. does any hair come out? if so...look at both ends of the strand. if there is a little bulb/ball on one end that is the root. and that is hair loss from the scalp or internal. if you get hairs with no bulb/ball on them and they are snapping again, that is breakage. if they do have bulbs/balls then possibly your tweeking your progesterone pills could help. (i am not a dr. though make sure that your dr. says okie dokie on that one) no, i have never heard of bosley hair centers. sorry. also, i want to tell you that EVERYONE loses hair. it is natural to shed... ESPECIALLY when it is HOT like it is now. my husband is always hollering at me about my hair in the sink, brush, floor, pool filter etc... haha but i remind him that it is totally natural and if he wants me to continue to let my hair grow then he needs to get over the loose hairs around the house. ever since i had my daughter i just lose more hair..HORMONES! i lose hair on my head but i find them on my chin instead ...hahah! ...that and my hair is longer so i think we both notice the loose strands more...it was short before and during my pregnancy. but anyways, sorry to ramble. hope this helps again. brandy
desert rat
on 7/3/05 12:34 pm - Goodyear, AZ
Hey Brandy, Thanks for the excellent information! I just wanted to let everyone know that I bought the regular strenght Nioxin at Costco and the extra strength at the Ulta store. Hope that helps; Dj
Trisha
on 7/4/05 3:50 am - Glendale, AZ
Great information, Brandy!! Wow! You know hair. Cool! Great posts.
Brandy H
on 7/4/05 6:07 am - Glendale, AZ
yes, i know a little about hair! haha. FYI-one thing i forgot to mention is that when i went in for my consult with dr. juarez he asked me what i did for a living. and i told him that i was a hairstylist and he said, "then you are probably already worrying about hair loss?" and i said, "yes, a little" and he said just to keep up on my protein and to take a biotin supplement (which both i already knew!) but he gives the same information that i do to my clients regarding hair loss. he just didn't mention nioxin nioxin has a website for those who are interested: www.nioxin.com 4 days till i get to be a loser! brandy
sgirl
on 7/4/05 6:24 am - tucson, AZ
Brandy, you are so appreciated with all your hair knowledge. I recall you saying that Biotin helps. Do you know of a brand that is the best. I want to go and get some ASAP. How soon after will I see a difference do you think? Also, I chose Dr. Juarez also. sally
Most Active