Beginning the Journey

Kathy S.
on 6/19/05 4:21 pm - PHX, AZ
Hi everyone, I'm Kathy and I am beginning my journey toward WLS. Memorial Day was the moment that changed everything... waking up in so much pain in both legs that I felt like I would pass out. Worrying about how or if I could get up instead of worrying about the cause. A visit to an urgent care doc who did not want the liability of treating me because of some undiagnosed cardiovascular issue. I'm over 300# again after losing almost 60# on Weigh****chers less than 2 years ago! June 6th I went to one of Scottsdale Bariatric Center's seminars and received my packet to turn back. Tuesday I have a complete workup and doctor's appointment with a Cardiologist at the AZ Heart Institute. I'm kind of scared at what they'll find.....heart disease, circulation problems,hypertension,diabetes, cholesterol are in my family medical history. I am 41 years old and I know the way to delay and/or prevent these things is to lose the weight. I know that this procedure is going to require much, much change in my life. Potentially living with any of those diseases will require change too. My insurance does cover WLS, 100+ overweight, letter of medical necessity and 6 months of medically supervised weight loss are required. Dr B's office has told me they can help with the supervised weight loss once my packet is in. I am so glad for this group! What's next? Kathy
Pamela E.
on 6/20/05 9:06 am - Buckeye, AZ
Hi Kathy. I've done 98% of everything required by the Scottsdale Bariatric Center, but my insurance in stalling and I'm waiting for the results of a second level appeal. Read my profile to find out everything they will have you do. Best of luck!
Stephanie J.
on 6/20/05 3:36 pm - Tucson, AZ
Just put one foot in front of the other, Kathy. Get all your co-morbidities documented as soon as possible. Other possible things to document are weight related incontinence, arthritis, back pain, sleep apnia, and acid reflux. If you're a snorer, you may have the apnia and not even know it, by the way. The rest would probably be pretty self evident. Cross all your Ts and dot the I s and be prepared to jump through or over any hurdle the insurance company might put in your way. Let us know how it's going. Good luck.- Stephanie J
Most Active