ITP and surgery anybody?

Kabaa
on 6/19/05 2:04 am - Tempe, AZ
Does anybody have ITP who is getting or has had the WLS? I asked this question about a year ago but nobody said they had ITP. I do and would like to talk to others who have it and how the surgery effected them. Fran
diamanti1
on 6/19/05 4:42 am - Peoria, AZ
I had ITP about 8 years ago and spleen was taken out to correct....when I went to Dr. Blackstones seminar several months ago that was the question that I had for her and she told me there are no problems with ITP and WLS.....I will know more later this week after my appointment with her but my recent blood work shows platelet levels are normal. I have not had the procedure yet but in the coming months it should happen.
Kabaa
on 6/19/05 5:01 am - Tempe, AZ
Thanks for the info. I have done a bazillion blood tests for my hemotologist since February, 2005. He has now consulted with my surgeon and they think that I will be OK with a platelet infusion during surgery. My platelets run between 30,000 and 60,000 but mostly at the low end. Surgeon had said he wanted them to be in the 60's but steroids didn't work for me and the hemotologist did not recommend a splenectomy. I am somewhat afraid of ITP during and after surgery. Thanks again. Fran
Most Active