gettin' my stuff together

Brandy H
on 6/14/05 5:02 am - Glendale, AZ
hi everyone, i have so many questions don't i!!?? anyways, i am starting to get my stuff together for my surgery (about 3 1/2 weeks away!) and i was wondering what are some suggestions on what you brought to the hospital/what you wished you had brought? did you have your hospital gown on the entire time?? or can you wear your own night gown and robe? thanks for the responses! brandy p.s. if surgery is on friday... what day to they let me out?? sunday? monday?
cynthia E.
on 6/14/05 5:42 am - buckeye, AZ
Brandy; How exciting. 3.5 weeks will go by fast. I had my surgery at St. Lukes. I followed the list they gave me and I ended up not using anything but the chap stick. They will give you a pillow, they have kleenex in your room, I took all my travel bathroom stuff. They have showers down the hall for you to use. They do have some disinfected soap if you want to use. I did take a shower both mornings. It really makes a difference in how you feel. I did wear the hospital gown with my robe. Since the cuts bleed a little I didn't want to get my gown all stained. I only bled alittle the first couple of hours. You can wear your own if you like but the hospital one is easy to move around in and when they come in to check on you and move it around. The only thing I missed was something to read, it kinda gets boring around the middle of the day. I had to stay there 2 nights. My surgery was at 3pm on a Monday and I was home by 11am on Wednesday. Hope this helps, Cynthia
Wendella
on 6/14/05 7:32 am - Mesa, AZ
The 2 things I loved were my slippers and my burt bees chap stick. I bought nice jammies but was never able to wear them. One other thing that made things nicer was I had someone come clean my house the day before I went in so I could come home to a clean house! Oh yeah I did bring my books on tape. These were nice too. I got tired of TV.
Trisha
on 6/14/05 1:30 pm - Glendale, AZ
You'll be out of the hospital by Sunday. I didn't bring a robe because I just used another hospital gown for a robe. Your gown opens in back and your "robe" opens in front. Most patients do that. Plus they GAVE me slipper socks. It's like socks with tread on the bottom. So you don't need to bring house shoes. One thing I say is DO NOT WEAR JEANS WHEN YOU CHECK IN!!!! LOL You will be too swollen to zip them up post op. Wear something in there that you can wear out of the hospital like shorts with elastic waists or something. BRING YOUR CHAPSTICK. Our lips dry out waking up from surgery you'll need it when you first get to your room. They provide you toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, lotion, towels, wash cloths and such. So you don't need to bring any toiletries. Well you are a hairstylist so I'm sure you'll bring some hair products, but hair should be the last thing on your mind hospital. LOL I brought reading material to hospital but never read it. I was either sleeping, walking around or eating it seemed like. those 2 days go by fast!! First day is operation, 2nd day you are up walking and 3rd day you go home. You can wear your own gown and robe if you want - you can change AFTER your IV is removed the NEXT morning AFTER your leak test. You can't put a nightgown on with IV connected to you. So if you want to wear your own gown (which I don't remember anyone doing when I had my surgery, but I've seen patients in the past do it) put it on 2nd day like after your leak test and shower or something. You are asking some great questions!! Keep 'em coming! I was the same way before my surgery? And well....after too. I still ask questions!! Hugs, Trisha
Brandy H
on 6/15/05 3:16 am - Glendale, AZ
thanks for your answers! i appreciate the suggestions! i have never been in the hospital before except to have my daughter.. and that SUCKED! i have learned a few things from that experience...TAKE SHOWER RIGHT BEFORE GOING INTO THE HOSPITAL YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOUR NEXT ONE MIGHT BE!! and i LOVE my showers! and yes, tri****OTALLY WILL BE HAVING GOOD HAIR IN THE HOSPITAL!!! "it should be the last thing on my mind" oh you so don't know me! lol i am a total chapstick fiend anyways so i will definately be packing one of those (or 2 or 3...) if anyone thinks of anything else that hasn't been mentioned please let me know! thanks again, brandy
Donna P.
on 6/15/05 7:01 am - Taylor, AZ
Thanks for asking all these good questions, Im filling up my note book with info and you are asking the right things. Thanks again and GOOD LUCK it will be here soon. Im still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Donna
oldpolly1
on 6/15/05 2:02 pm - Gold Canyon, AZ
If you are particular about your water, bring bottled water. The stuff from the tap sux!!! Bonnie B PS I'm kinda jealous that you have your date already. I was approved on Monday, but they said it may take two weeks to get a surgery date, then it's 4-6 weeks out!!! Who is your surgeon again??? Dr Juarez's office seems kind of sssllllloooowwwwwwwwwwwww...
Brandy H
on 6/16/05 2:05 am - Glendale, AZ
dr. juarez IS my surgeon. i have had NO problem with them being slow.. the only thing that has held me up at all was my behavior modification therapist took her sweet time getting my paperwork to dr. maxwell's office...(like over 2 weeks...grrr) but other than that i only started this whole process february 25th (the date i talked to my pcp about getting a referral) i got approval on May 18th then i got my letter that said my surgery date 2 days later on the 20th. and my surgery is july 8th, so that was 7 weeks. i guess that was a bit of a wait but you have so much to get together so it hasn't seem like it has been so long. you should hear something very soon! yay! thanks for the water tip. i think i am a weirdo i don't mind tap water as long as it is cold... i just don't like tepid or arrowhead water. ????
Most Active