Having trouble sleeping...and pre-op testing...

Valerie I.
on 5/18/05 4:21 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi all ~ My surgery date is next Wednesday, May 25. Well, here I am whining. For the last few nights I have not slept well. As soon as I lay my tired old head down on my pillow my eyes snap open and my brain starts in on me. "Don't forget this, don't forget that, did you remember to..." and so on. So I get up and make lists. Usually I sleep VERY well, so this is weird. I'm sure it's just nerves, jitters, whatever you want to call it. Tomorrow morning at 9:30 I'm scheduled to have my pre-op testing at St Luke's. Now normally bloodwork doesn't bother me. I have it every year with my regular physical. But I've heard so much about this unusual test that they do where they have to get some blood out of an artery. I've heard it's very very painful. And now I'm all worried over this. The rational side of my brain says, "How bad could it be? Thousands of these tests are done on people all over the world every day. And they survive. You'll be fine." The not-so-rational side of my brain screams, "An ARTERY, YE GODS, they must be mad!! This will surely be the very worst experience of your entire life and you'll never, ever get over the sheer horror of it." I suppose that the reality of the experience will be somewhere in between... Anyone have any comments (preferably reassuring) about this test? What it is called? How bad is it? Anyway, this evening I was feeling rather tired, so I went to bed at 8. Fell right to sleep. Then my beloved prince tumbled into bed at 10 and I leapt to wakefulness. So here I am. Awake, having a nice cup of caffiene free tea and a hot flash. -sigh- I'll finish my tea and go back to bed. Valerie in Scottsdale
Trisha
on 5/18/05 6:05 pm - Glendale, AZ
I went to bed tonight but can't go to sleep either. Maybe my body sensed your post. As for the artery blood test - it's not like pain-pain to where you'll be crying and screaming for momma or anything. Just look away when they do it - don't look at the needle going in your wrist. They go kind of deep -for the artery, but it's quick. Then the rest of the day your wrist will "kind of hurt". I say kind of because it's not like in pain-pain where you can't use it. But if you wipe, write, type, etc. you'll kind of feel a sense of pain. Take pain meds right after your testing is done to help with that. Can't take it before because you have to be fasting. I enjoyed my pre-op testing day at St. luke's everyone is SUPER nice and cheered me on and congratulated me and such. It was a fun experience! And you forget about hunger after awhile because you are so busy with various tests. While you are there. Stop by Room 612 - that's where Carrie is at! Stop in and say Hello!!! I'll be calling her tomorrow as well Okay, we need to get in bed!
Valerie I.
on 5/19/05 9:46 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Trisha ~ I did not read your reply to my post until this afternoon, well after I left St Lukes. So I did not go in to see Carrie. But the testing went so well. You're right, the people who work at St Lukes are just the best - super nice. I'm having a great experience! Valerie in Scottsdale
sherylee24
on 5/19/05 9:22 am - El Mirage, AZ
I remember that test!! It is called a ABG (Arterial Blood Gas). They took mine in my hand and it was very painful, but only for a little while. The tech who took it told me not to watch because the artery would get scared and disappear, but I didn't believe him and wanted to and it started to spasm. That hurt a lot!!!! So I would recommend not looking. Again it hurt for a couple minutes then it was fine. It is nothing in the whole scheme of things! Best of luck with your tests and your surgery!!!
Valerie I.
on 5/19/05 9:47 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Sheryl ~ You're right, not a big deal. Not even a bump in the road. Thank you for the good wishes! Valerie in Scottsdale
Valerie I.
on 5/19/05 9:43 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hello hello ~ The pre-op testing went just peachy fine. The arterial draw was just as painless as one could hope for, just a little stick. The other bloodwork was fine too. No bruises at all. And I have no pain from either stick! The upper GI was not so bad. I'd never had one, and the barium drink was not my fave, but it really was not bad at all. The abdominal ultrasound was fine. The technician was very friendly and explained it all so well. Gosh those people at St Luke's who helped me were all so nice! It was really a pleasure to see them all - specially Norm who drew my artery blood, Trini who drew my other blood, and Edith the RN who took all my history. I couldn't be any more pleased and reassured. Tonight I suspect I'll sleep a little better! hahaha Valerie in Scottsdale
Brandy H
on 5/19/05 3:52 pm - Glendale, AZ
i don't think or know if it is the same thing... but when i gave birth to my little girl...i had severe pre-eclamsia and i had to have an artery line hooked in an artery for 2 days!!! THAT HURT!!! so i am hoping it is the same procedure JUST QUICKER! (did i just say "HOPING it is the same procedure"???!!!...what is wrong with me??)
cynthia E.
on 5/20/05 1:52 am - buckeye, AZ
Valerie; Next week will come quickly and this will be a dream for you after that. I found it calming before surgery to meditate and say a prayer for strength and guidence. It really worked. The next few nights will be the same, so many things going through your head. Try to relax the best you can, you don't want your blood preasure to go up. As far as the tests. You will feel like a ginny pig by the end of the day. The tests are not to bad but the artery one on does hurt. He missed it on my right hand and had to have the supervisor do it on left hand. Make sure to keep breathing even if it hurts. This test measures the oxegin in the arteries. Everyone is real nice so it makes easier. After your upper GI, remember to drink lots of liquids to get that barium out of you. Nasty stuff. Keep us posted, Hope this helps alittle Cynthia
Valerie I.
on 5/21/05 8:08 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Cynthia ~ You sure got that right about the barium! The young lady radiology tech told me to drink lots of water. So I did - LOTS. Fortunately, that barium did not constipate me. I think it must expand inside you though. I'm sure that more came out than went in! I'm sleeping much better now. I have been praying for God to go with me, and for me to be ready to do His will. Also have been using some guided imagery! I sort of made up my own. Mine is that I just got back to my 5 star hotel room after a full body massage, facial, salt scrub, manicure, and pedicure. So I'm completely relaxed and ready to snooze. I lie on the bed and look out the window of my room. (This is the part I change from time to time) Sometimes it's a beautiful city skyline at night, or a beach at sunset, or a lovely green forest. And I go to sleep! Tada!! I'm feeling calm and ready. Valerie in Scottsdale
Most Active