Question about BM's...sorry

sherylee24
on 5/17/05 10:30 am - El Mirage, AZ
Hi, I know this is kind of gross, but can't think of anyone else to ask. I had my surgery May 9th and am feeling awesome! I had my first BM on Sat 5/14 and was very excited, however the next day I had two that were extremely loose... almos****er like... and one the next day the same way. Is this normal???
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/17/05 11:36 am - Tucson, AZ
I had diahera (severe) for 7 weeks straight......then came the costipation. I am now taking Miralax a Rx to stop the constipation, it helps alittle. Sandy in Tucson 340/240/150
cynthia E.
on 5/18/05 1:47 am - buckeye, AZ
Sandy; I just got over a bacterial infection and the doctor told me that I was also constipated. I have been faithly taking Prune juice to help with that. Is this Miralax a prescribed medication? Has it helped you? thanks, cynthia
roser13
on 5/17/05 11:36 am - Glendale, CA
Hey Sheryl, I think its normal. I've heard of stories where they go months with watery BM. i know mine are very loose. It doesnt bother me though,cuz I also heard of people being contipated. and I rather be loose then constipated Rosie
roser13
on 5/17/05 11:39 am - Glendale, CA
Sheryl, I had the surgery on the 3rd of May and so far I've lost about12 pounds and that was during my hospital stay until today! Have you lost any? Rosie
sherylee24
on 5/17/05 4:34 pm - El Mirage, AZ
Hi Rosie, I am not sure if I've lost any... in the hospital I gained 14 lbs, due to fluid retention, plus I started my period. The day I went home they gave me lasix? which made me pee like a racehorse - after the first two hours I had lost 4 lbs, but unfortunately I don't have a scale at home that goes up enough to weight myself on. I go for my two week follow-up on May 26 and can't wait to see how much I've lost. I know I have just because my binder that I have to wear is going around me more then it did! It's so exciting!!!!!!!!
roser13
on 5/17/05 4:57 pm - Glendale, CA
I'm pretty sure you did lose. I hope everything goes well for you at your consultation I go on Friday the 20th. I think I lost inches because my clothes and jewlery are getting loose on me!!!! I love it!!!! Rosie
cynthia E.
on 5/18/05 1:44 am - buckeye, AZ
Sheryla; Congrats on your surgery, I am sure you are loosing so don't get discouraged. Since you are experiencing loose BM, make sure you keep drinking your fluids. You don't want to get dihydrated. I was told that it is ok for them to be loose and a lighter color at first. It takes time for your body to adjust to all the changes it just went through. I rather them be loose then hard. You don't want to have to strain yourself. If all else fails call the surgeons office and talk to the nurse. Don't ever feel weird about calling them. That is part of there job is to help us after the surgery deal with these things that come up. Hope this helps. Cynthia
Stephanie J.
on 5/18/05 4:17 pm - Tucson, AZ
I know the imagery is none to pretty, but I remember losing it in my driveway and spewing all the way into the house about a week after my surgery. I was already trying to be super mom by schlepping my kids to school, but the old bowels had a different agenda. As you've heard here, some of us have problems over time with loose stools, others with constipation, and yet others - this includes me- vascilating back and forth. It generally gets less and less extreme as time goes on, but some, like Sandy, have a real hard start with the intestines. My advice is to get some lactobacillus acidophilous. Intimidating name, I know, but it's just basically healthy bacteria that help your intestines to process food. I used to take it mainly when I'd go to Mexico - to keep from getting the revenge. But it's come in very handy since the surgery and I give it to my children when they have any problems with diahrea as well. Acidophilous is the active ingredient in most yoghurts, but in pill or chewable form, is much more potent and faster acting. Pills also help to avoid the lactose if you're intolerant. You can get the chewables in the refrigerator section at just about any health food outlet or vitamin place. It's highly worth the purchase. The only draw back of acidophilous is that if you take to much, it can constipate you, so you don't want to take more than one or two chewables at a time and then ease off if you feel at all constipated. - Stephanie J
Most Active