The never-ending process....

Valerie I.
on 3/7/05 9:55 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hello all ~ Well, I've been plugging along here. My initial consult with Dr. Fang went quite well - liked him a lot. The next day I met with Dr. Maxwell. That discussion went well too. I like her a lot as well. She has recommended some behavioral modification sessions for me before she will sign off on my psych eval. I had to call over a dozen counseling professionals before I found one who was on my insurance plan and did this kind of work. Has anyone else had this experience? How did your behavior modification go? Thanx for any info you have on it. Now I have to attend three one and a half hour seminars at 7:30 p.m. - one March 15, one April 17, and one on May 19 at the Bridges Center at St Luke's hospital in Phoenix. How are those? Interesting? Fun? Anyone else here going at the same time/dates? As far as I know, my PCP has written and sent my letter of medical necessity, and my other previous PCP has sent my records showing medically supervised weight loss attempts. Looking into my none-too-reliable crystal ball, I don't think I'll be having a surgery date before June or July. What to you all think? Gosh this is a long complex process. On the bright side, we got a home elliptical trainer, and I've been on it a couple of times for a few minutes - so I'm getting some exercise! Thanks... sighs..... Valerie in Scottsdale
GretchenL
on 3/7/05 11:42 am - Lakeside, AZ
I started my process in November. I went to the Bridges Center Seminar. At that time they gave us an exact list of what they require (your insurance may have different requirements). With my work schedule not allowing for time off in December as I don't live in the valley and the holidays I didn't do anything during the month of December. I had my psych visit before my surgeon consultation. That went fine. I got my release from Dr. Maxwell. I had all of the requirements needed before I had my initial consultation Jan 5th. I wanted to make sure I did not hold anything up because I didn't supply the needed paperwork. I also brought copies to my consultation just in case they needed it. I saw Dr. Juarez. I really like him. You would have thought I was the only patient he had. He spent as long as I had questions. I specifically asked him at that visit how long before I hear from my insurance company. I wanted to know what I was getting in for. It took a month for them to get the transcripts back. Angelia in his office is wonderful. She contacted my insurance company and they required 2 other items which I supplied to her 2 days later. She sent my paperwork in. It is now 2 months since my first visit. I am learning patience I never thought I had. This waiting would be even worse if I didn't ask so many questions. I have attended 2 of the 3 "ABC" classes. They are very informative. You will learn a lot. I only have the one on March 15th left. I will be at the 5:00pm class. You will also meet others going thru the same things we are. To be honest I am really glad the Bridges Center has so many requirements. This is such a big step and I want to have all of the available information. Now that I have completed all of the requirements (with the exception of the last "ABC" class I am hoping to get my approval from my insurance company. The bottom line is you may not hear anything for a couple of months so please have patience. Spend time on OH. YOu will learn tons of information from the people who have been thru this. Also you will need to do all of the leg work on anything they don't have. Don't ASSUME anyone has sent what you requested. Get copies. Remember it is your responsibility to supply everything needed. This will help you later if there are any questions. Hang in there. We are all in the same boat or have gone thru it. I am wishing you a speedy approval and successful surgery. Good Luck, Gretchen
Laura B.
on 3/7/05 12:43 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I am also a patient of Dr. Fang. I will meet Dr. Maxwell later this week to go over my test, kinda anxious about that but at least the test part is over. I have a question about the ABC classes, do they have to be completed before our surgery? I was under the impression that we would need to attend them but they didn't require us to complete them before surgery. I'll ask more at my appointment with Dr. Maxwell, just thought you might know. Take care Laura
Valerie I.
on 3/7/05 1:36 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Laura ! Well, I don't know if one must complete all three classes before surgery or not. I assumed we did. Perhaps not. When you ask Dr. Maxwell, would you kindly let me know too what the answer is? I bet there are lots of others here who would like to know too! Don't be nervous about meeting with Dr. Maxwell. I found her to be quite direct, good sense of humor, forthcoming with information, and easy to talk to. Valerie in Scottsdale
Laura B.
on 3/7/05 1:58 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Hi Valerie! Thank you for easing my nerves about Dr. Maxwell. I meet with her Wednesday evening. I'll post the answer about the classes just as soon as I find out. I hope we don't have to have them all before hand...ugh! I think they mentioned something about an all day class, guess that's always an option. I met with my pulmonary doctor this afternoon, he wants me to have a sleep apnea test. I told him that I'm pretty sure I don't have it but I guess it's better to be tested now then to find out during surgery. I've never had a problem with my other major surgery so I'm not really sure why we have to have an apnea test for this particular surgery. Guess that old saying comes into play...mine is not to reason why, mine is just to do or die. Take care and have a good evening! Maybe we will be in one of the same classes?? Laura
GretchenL
on 3/8/05 8:34 am - Lakeside, AZ
I assumed we had to have all of the classes completed prior to surgery too but I asked the big question last month. No you don't have to complete them before surgery. They would prefer you have them completed. The clincher is you can't attend any support groups until they are completed. Sending good thoughts of getting a fast approval and uneventful surgery to all. Gretchen
ems1211
on 3/14/05 1:06 am - Phoenix, AZ
Valerie: I too have to take behavior mod classes (binge eater). I go for my 1st visit on March 29th (I think). I will be at the 7:00 class tomorrow night. This is my last class. They are interesting & helpful. Dr. Maxwell runs them & She is great. Funny lady. Did anyone tell you the class was not in the Hospital this month? It is in the Behavior Health Auditorium. You park in the lot south of the hospital (just north of Van Buren). Park at the west end of the lot. Take the sidewalk north on 18th st to the resource center & go up the steps. Follow the signs to the room. Very easy to find. It starts at 7:00. (There is also one at 5:00). This is late from your post date, but just got on this sight 1st time today. Good luck with your journey. I am hoping to have surgery in June or July. The sooner, the better. I can't wait. Susan H
Valerie I.
on 3/14/05 2:17 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Well Susan, I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one to have to go to behavior mod. I'll keep an eye peeled for you tomorrow night, Susan. Thank you for the good directions. See you tomorrow. Valerie
Most Active