moving to Phoenix - need MD

lapband_man
on 2/27/05 12:07 pm - Charlotte, NC
I will be getting a lap-band done in NC before moving to Phoenix. I need to find a competent Dr. there who can follow me for fills and any complications that develop. I am selfpay. Also, I am terrified about moving to the Desert. What do you like about life there? What do you not like about living in Phoenix? Thanks!!!!
FROG1962
on 2/27/05 10:21 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
I can't help with the MD as mine doesn't do lap-band. As for living in the desert, welcome! Right now everything is a beautiful green due to all the rain we have had this winter. The summers seem to get long and unbearable. When the heat gets to 115 you begin to wonder if hell would be cooler! Thankfully everything out here has air conditioning. I am a AZ native and sometimes the summer seems to never end. There are alot of positive things though, within a 3 hour drive you are in snow, if you like to ski. Drive about 2 hours out and the temp is about 20-25 degree cooler. The Grand Canyon is beautiful. There are alot of venues for concerts, theaters and just about anything you can think of. I don't want to dwell on the negative you will need to decide that for yourself. Please feel free to ask anything else you might want to know. Dawn
cindy
on 2/28/05 12:48 am - Mesa, az
If you are self pay, then you need to call Dr. Blackstone, you can find her number on Obesityhelp.com. She does gastric bypass and lapbands, and has a fantastic program. She is located in Scottsdale and that is about 15 mins from Phoenix, and she is located in Medical Building 4 at Scottsdale Healthcare. Call and talk to Lisa Sandoval who is the Program Manager for the Bariatric program at Scottsdale Healthcare and she can hook you up, let her know that I referred you, I am a volunteer at that Bariatric program at the hospital. Her number is 480 860-3846. You will find Arizona a big change from NC. I lived in Florida for many years and also NC and loved it. But Arizona does not have the humitidy, it is as dry as a bone, so what helped me get through the transition was alot of moistuser (advance healing) and saline nose spray, because my nose would bleed from the dryness. Say goodbye to water, other than a few man made lakes or dams. It is green right now because we have had rain which is out of the normal, but you will not see alot of grass, but you will see alot of catcus. And people here think that bridges are something over the freeway, they have no consept of how beautiful a drive over a bridge over the water can be. It does have beautiful parts though, the sunsets are beautiful, the Grand Canyon is fantastic. I am starting to enjoy living in Arizona much more now, but it has been two years. Good luck, and if you have any questions, please email me. Cindy Smith Open RNY 8-6-03 - 181 lbs BR 8-4-04 TT 2-7-05
Lucy28
on 2/28/05 8:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
I agree with Cindy. Dr. Blackstone's practice is one of the best in the country. You can go to her website scottsdalebariatric.com.
(deactivated member)
on 3/1/05 12:40 am - CA
Dr. Terry Simpson is a great lapband surgeon. Good post surgical program. He is located in Phoenix. Good luck. Monica
Kathy P.
on 3/1/05 4:52 am - AZ
I agree with monica about dr simpson he is a neat guy very personable. I have several friends who have either had rny or lap band done by him and they Love him. I met him this weekend at the obesity help senimar here in phoenix and understand why he is a neat guy very friendly and personable. Welcome to phoenix its a great state. Kathy
cynthia E.
on 3/2/05 3:32 am - buckeye, AZ
I had my Rny @ St. Lukes Hospital. I know that Dr. Juarez and Dr. Fang both do the lap band surgery and fills. That is downtown Phoenix. Living in the desert is great. We are close to CA, NV and Mexico. If you like the beach or gambeling. Nice places to travel. There are several lakes near Phoenix and many fun things to do. The summer heat can be to much sometimes but the winters are a delight. I guess it is a trade off. Best of luck, Cynthia
Most Active