Frustrating Experience - Juarez Office

Trisha
on 2/16/05 12:57 pm - Glendale, AZ
Okay, I got approved Monday. I thought by today I'd have my surgery scheduled. But Dr. Juarez's staff is so overworked and behind on things, it's going to be up to two weeks before I get a surgery date. When I call there they always make me feel like I am bothering them. I shouldn't be moved to tears just trying to get approved and/or scheduling surgery. Aetna faxed my approval to Dr. Juarez's office Tuesday morning. I left a message for Diana, the surgery scheduler telling her who I was and that she should have received the approval and i was ready to schedule my surgery. She hadn't called me back by 4pm so I called her and got her live, so I told her who I was and that I wanted to schedule surgery and she should have received the approval from Aetna. She hears the word Aetna and says "Oh I don't handle Aetna, {name} does, let me transfer you to her." I'm like wait, no, hello??? She said "yeah" real impatient like. I told her I had worked with Cyndy, but I'm already approved, I just need to schedule the surgery, you are the surgery scheduler right? And she just said "hold on" and put me on hold before I could say anything. I was on hold for TEN minutes (I clocked it) and then I was transferred to Diana's voice mail. So I ask why she put me on hold for 10 mins and then put me back into her voice mail and that I was just wanting to schedule surgery. Of course, she has not called me back yet. So I call Cyndy today and tell her who I am and she's like "yeah" like whaddya want? I asked if they had received my Aetna approval yet. She said they had and asked who I wanted to do my surgery. I told her Juarez and she said Diana would call me within the next TWO WEEKS (two weeks!!!) to schedule surgery. I asked her if I should call Diana now or what and she said no if she doesn't call you within two weeks then give her a call. Everytime I talk with someone in Dr. Juarez's office I feel like I am bothering them. I was so upset this afternoon I was crying. Why is it so hard to deal with his staff? I want to call and tell Dr. Juarez about my frustrating experience so far with his staff, but on one hand I want to wait until I have surgery first, but I'm too upset! Would calling him even matter? Does he care how his office staff treats patients? I am not a troublesome patient. I did everything that was required of me to do for approval. Took SIX weeks for them to submit it to insurance because they were waiting for dictation to come back. SIX WEEKS!!!!! They finally submit it to Aetna but FORGOT to send two years of my medical records (they only sent 3 years vs. 5 years). So Aetna denies me. I tell Cyndy that she has the 5 years of records to send Aetna. I asked if she called Aetna back and told them that or what,and she said no that she got voice mail from Aetna that I was denied for that reason and then she called me and I had to do appeal. I told her that she has EVERYTHING Aetna needs, I gave her EVERYTHING, I asked her why she didn't send it and her response was "everyone makes mistakes". She offered to do appeal because she messed up and I let her, but she ended up sending my appeal to Aetna DENTAL claims!!! DENTAL!! So I do appeal and it immediately gets approved. All I did was do it right. Then I get approved and Diana is now avoiding my calls and putting me on hold for 10 mins and then fwding me to her voice mail???? I'm so sick of this. If I had a choice of going to another surgeon without having to start this whole process over again I would. I know Dr. Juarez is a good surgeon, but the emotional rollercoaster I am going through just dealing with his staff is too much. Sorry for the long post.
tres35cowgirl8
on 2/16/05 2:52 pm - * _ *, AZ
Trisha Sorry your going thru all this. you are at their mercy. It sucks I went thru it all too hurry up and wait. you have to do all the leg work and I think it's wrong when they know what the process is and how to deal with ins companys. They do this so they dont have to really do the work and you end up doing it for them. either you play their game or confront them and hope you dont have to go to some one else and start over. unless your self pay it's very hard to get past their games. wait a couple days find something to do and then try again.
Kathy P.
on 2/16/05 9:29 pm - AZ
Just be patient. Let him know what happened and how flusturated you are. He wants to know about things like this. At least thats what he told me. I had a great expierence with them. A bad with the insurance they where the pains in my side. Good luck and hopefully soon you will be on the winning side. Kathy
Susan H.
on 2/17/05 1:12 am - Gilbert, AZ
I am really sorry for all the hassels you have encountered. Could you call Atena and ask them if you could change Dr with the approval letter you got for Juarez? What difference would it make as long as you stayed in that group? Nicole in Dr Zahn and Dr Vallerezs is just great!!!!! I had no problems at all. They always return calls and in a timely manner. Good Luck,
Lucy28
on 2/17/05 1:53 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I agree with trying to see if you can switch docs. I went with Dr. Blackstone and they were great. Lord knows I called everyday and never once gave me atitude
sandust1
on 2/18/05 3:26 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Trisha, I agree with the others about contacting your insurance to see if you can switch docs. Just think if you had switched several weeks ago you may have had a date by now. Just a thought. I'll be praying for you. God Bless, Sandy PS I am changing surgeons and I'm not even approved yet!
cynthia E.
on 2/18/05 3:45 am - buckeye, AZ
Trisha; I am 3 months post op. Dr. Juarez was my surgen. I have been having problems with my gallbladder. Last week dr. Juarez told me that he was booked solid. He is having Dr. Fang take my gallbladder out next week. I did go through the same senerio as you when I went through the process. The girls are not very helpful. I was told that they are very busy. I just kept calling and leaving messages. To them, it feel like we are just anthor patient but to us, it is our lives. This is a life changing experience for us not just a job. Now if Dr. Fang can get me in surgery in 1 week. Then maybe he isn't as busy as Dr. Juarez. His surgery scheduler called within 24 hours of being the office. I actually liked Pat better then any of the gals I dealed with in the Dr. Juarez sector. One piece of advice, as soon as you get your surgery date. Schedule your followup visit. I had to wait a month. Keep your chin up. You are on your way to a better you! I hope this helps. Cynthia
Trisha
on 2/19/05 2:50 pm - Glendale, AZ
Thank you all for your posts and replies! I'm going to call Aetna on Monday and see if I can use Dr. Fang. I'll try his scheduler and see how responsive she is. I've heard good things about Fang. And they are in same office, so I don't think it'd matter to Aetna. Thanks guys for your advice! Why didn't I think of that?! LOL I wouldn't have to start process over again if I stay in same office, and besides Aetna approved me so who cares who does it - as long as they approved it anyone could do it. Duh! LOL
Randall H.
on 2/20/05 1:08 am - Chandler, AZ
Trisha, Hang in there. Aetna only approves Juarez and Fang. You might try and switch to Fang. He has plenty of experience. As for the girls in Dr Juarez's office, they are busy and remember a little kindness goes along way. Good Luck...
sgirl
on 2/21/05 11:04 pm - tucson, AZ
I would only call your insurance company first if you were having problems with the doctor himself. But, from what I'm hearing from you is that you are happy with Dr. Juarez, just not the staff. Maybe if you can find a way to contact Dr. Juarez and discuss with him what is going on, he can address the problem himself. I know that he was responsible for making the nursing staff at St. Lukes's act with a little more respect for his patients. He sounds like he really cares that we are all getting treated with dignity and respect. Try it, it may just go your way. Plus, you just might make it easy for the rest of us when we have to deal with the staff. :D:
Most Active