Pop Killing My Teeth!!!

Trisha
on 2/11/05 2:37 pm - Glendale, AZ
I'm a pop-addict and even though I know it's bad for me, I continue to drink it. At times I go off of it, but then I go right back to it big time. Well, I know pop isnt' good for me, diet or regular, but I went to dentist today after not going for about 2 years. And I need like $3,000 worth of dental work (dental insurance isn't that great). Dentist said my oral hygiene was excellent, and I had no plaque or tartar, but he could tell I was a pop drinker just in the way the decay was forming in my teeth. I hate going to the dentist, so procrastinate on that, and work that I should have gotten done 2 years ago has gotten worse and instead of just fillings, now I need crowns, etc. Even two root canals. Then I hear that if you have tooth decay when going in for surgery (any kind of surgery) it could cause problems (even death) because it could abcess under stress and infect your system, etc. So that's why I thought I'd go back to the dentist and get dental work done no matter what the cost, but then I find out today I need MAJOR work and they don't accept partial payment or payment plans, so I have to have money AT appt. I'm like my gosh, how am I going to do this. Now there is no way I can get all the dental work done before I have surgery, but I'll have a few of the big ones done by then hopefully. I just need to stop drinking soda. Simple as that. I'm ruining not only my body but my teeth. And what did I do when I left the dentist office this morning? I went by QuikTrip and got a big soda. It's like my psyche works against me. When I am told I can't have something, I must have it and in large quantities! Ugh!! Sorry for the novel, but can anyone here relate? Any tips or advice on cutting back on soda and reversing my "mind" from wanting it? I wish they had a patch for it like they do for nicotene. LOL Or a fat patch for that matter. Wouldn't it be great to just put a patch on and lose weight? Ahh,,,,one can dream! Trisha in Glendale
tres35cowgirl8
on 2/11/05 9:24 pm - * _ *, AZ
Trisha, What dentist do yoi go to? Western dental has payment plans. I went to them before surgery, and got my bottom teeth pulled they were bad not only from the soda but from the Diabeties. they set up payment plan once a month so I could get everything done before GBS. hope this helps. Teresa
Stephanie J.
on 2/12/05 2:46 pm - Tucson, AZ
I also used to be addicted. In my youth, I drank a six of coke every day of my life. A funny thing happened though. When I got stuck at a hotel that didn't have coke in the machine for a week, I realized that a cronic ovarian pain I'd had for over a year miraculously went away! I started up on the coke again and there it was, like an old friend. I switched to clear sodas at that point, but somewhere along the line, after living a few years in Arizona, realized that the soda just served to make me thirsty and that when I started drinking water, my thirst actually got quenched for the first time in years. Now I'm hooked on water. And I like a little twist of lemon or lime in it also, especially when I'm at a restaurant and the stuff out of the tap has a little funny taste that the lime takes away completely. As far as techniques for getting away from the cola, just start doing some simple behavior modification techniques. Start adding more water into your diet, maybe just at lunch or drink a bottle in the afternoon. Next, diminish the places and times you allow yourself the soda little by little. Habits don't usually change in an instant. It takes a good month or two to make anything habitual, so just make a little change and stick with it and then make another. You'll get there. - Stephanie J
sandust1
on 2/14/05 4:57 am - Glendale, AZ
Hi Trisha, when I realized I was going to have WLS, I gave up soda. It was hard at first, but like anything it becomes a habit. I actually gave up caffine. I drink lemonade, crystal-light and water. I realize I am going to have to change some habits and it's better to change them now than to struggle with them while recovering from surgery. I still struggle with getting 64oz of water in a day. Just keep trying it will all come together.
Susan H.
on 2/14/05 10:53 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Sorry to hear about your problems. I loved soda also and stated to get off the stuff when I knew I was going to have the surgery so I went to flavored water like Propell I really enjoy that. Then I noticed I was craving the carbination and found flavored carbinated water at Frys called Crystal Clear and that really helped. No carbs no surgar no caleries just carbination and flavor. Eventurally I was able to get away from the Crystal Clear and now drink Propell. Both of these drinks have a variety of flavors and can quench a thirst. Just tell your mind you want the surgery, and you shouldn't drink the soda as it will make the pouch grow so might as well start slowing down now. Good luck. Sue
Most Active