10 days post op how do i get softer stools?

rron999
on 12/31/04 2:30 am - Victorville, CA
i have a bowel movement about every 3 days but it hurts and its so thick(sorry but I dont know how else to ask this) waht can i take to make them softer and easier to go to the bathroom.?
Stephanie J.
on 12/31/04 3:35 am - Tucson, AZ
Funny how people's constitutions can be sooooo different. I had exactly the opposite problem at ten days out, with diahrea running down my leg as I tried to make a quick sprint to the bathroom! I'm not sure what would work for you, but intuitively, I think you should try to drink as much water as possible and keep very well hydrated. That's actually easier to do in the summer as it's an automatic response to the heat, but I think it's just as important in the winter time to keep all the body systems functioning optimally. You probably have little desire to put anything in right now, but it's very important to try your hardest to get those liquids in and I believe it will help soften the stools. Happy New Year and Happy New Life. The first few months can be pretty tough, but your honeymoon will be here very soon, and trust me, it makes up for the hard times in spades. Keep your chin up. - Stephanie J
Marilyn C.
on 12/31/04 7:35 am - Bullhead City, AZ
Ron. Happy New Year & welcome to the other side of life. You won't regret your decision once you get past the hard part. Milk of Magnesia works the best & the quickest to resolve the problem. You are not eating like you use to, so the system kind of goes thru some changes in the beginning . Plus you are still getting the drugs out of your system as well and that will constipate you too; I am 9 months out and have lost 130lbs so hang in there it is all worth it. Do not take exlas it is to harsh on our new pouch's only take Milk of magnesia. it works. Good luck Marilyn Clifford Bearlady or Bullhead City az. (3-15-04 130 lbs)
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/04 11:04 am - CA
Lots of fluids will help. I took Benefiber the few times I had problems. DO NOT take any form of metamucil as the physillium husks in it will expand in your tummy and can cause quite a bit of pain. Before taking any meds (even over the counter like Benefiber) it is always best to check with your surgeon to see what he recommends. Mary
Most Active