ANYONE BEEN THROUGH SURG WITH VA SYSTEM?

RICHARD G.
on 12/30/04 12:23 pm
I have just been admitted to the va system and am told the va will provide for it. has anyone done it through the va. I am 407 lbs and have been heavy all my life. Went over 200 as a teen never been under even when i was in mil. any thoughts?
tyx3mom
on 12/30/04 9:23 pm
Richard, i dont have any experience with the va hospital. But I had the surgery in Jan. Best think i ever did for myself. If you get to choose a doctor, check out Dr. Newhoff. He has been doing this surgery for 30 years. good luck. michelle
Stephanie J.
on 12/31/04 3:41 am - Tucson, AZ
Isn't it Newhoff that only does open? I would choose someone who does the modern day version of the surgery - laparoscopic. It's so much easier and safer to do it that way, I can't imagine choosing not to unless there were complications that mandated open. Juarez is a good choice, but the VA probably has its own doctor, so there's probably not much choice there, anyway. - Stephanie J
Kim R.
on 1/7/05 3:11 am - Peoria, AZ
Stephanie, I know you meant well, but laproscopic is not necessarily safer. You are under anesthesia much longer with the lap compared to open and that in itself can cause some problems. This is an on going debate here on the board, and each of us have our own opinion. Open, allows a clear view for the surgeon to perform the surgery and should there be any complications he is in a position to correct it immediately. With lap, if there is a complication they end up doing an open anyway. All in all, they are both going to give you the same results. Recovery time obviously is much quicker with lap. Kim R/az
Most Active