Any advice for someone just starting out the WLS Process?

Andrea M.
on 12/25/04 12:00 pm - Casa Grande, AZ
Hello, My name is Andrea and I am on Banner Health's Choice Plus medical insurance. I was told that in order to qualify, the first step is that you have to be on their insurance for 2 years. I have only been on it for one year, so is it too early to start the ball rolling? If it is too early, when should I start? Any advice on this whole process would be wonderful. Thank you, Andrea Morgan
Rosalie S.
on 12/25/04 8:22 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I don't know about your insurance. I had Medicare but they wouldn't pay for laproscopic so I switched to Pacificare Secure Horizons. When I applied they approved me right away. My daughter was surprised as I had only had that insurance for a short time. It has something to do with you having comorbities. Only had to pay $300 out-of-pocket. Don't know how to do the computer thing very well. My surgery was 10/01/04 at St. Luke's Hospital, Dr. Fang, and have lost 50 lbs. Feel great. St. Luke's has the best doctors and after care. Hope this is of some help.
(deactivated member)
on 12/26/04 1:18 pm - CA
Andrea, I'm new to AZ, but would highly recommend that you research the complete criteria your insurer requires. Many ask for documented weight loss efforts --- some for as long as a year. These efforts typically have to show that you have had a medically supervised weight loss program that has monthly weigh ins with your doctor and they info in put in your chart. Sometimes they require you attend weight loss classes etc. So do your research and find out exactly what they need, require etc. Also while you are waiting, research, research, research. Become very informed on the process. The surgery is not for everyone and should not be gone into blindly. I highly recommend reading Barbara Thompson's book: Weight Loss Surgery, Finding the Thin Person Hiding Inside You. It is a great book loaded with information and easy to read. Barbara has had WLS and now lectures across the US. I even had my husband read her book. If you have a WLS support group in your area, start attending. The groups are so important no matter what stage in the process you are in. At the groups too you may meet others that have the same insurance as you and that you can discuss the process with. Wishing you the best. Mary 305/181/125????
Stephanie J.
on 12/26/04 3:11 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi Andrea, Ditto on what Mary said. Excellent advice. Do get on that weight loss program with your P.C. (as stupid as it sounds - and is - most insurers do insist on it and you don't want to get held up further by having no provable recent diet history). - Stephanie J
(deactivated member)
on 12/26/04 1:20 pm - CA
You may also find information from others on this section of obesityhelp also: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgery+insurers+in+arizona.html
Clara W.
on 1/6/05 1:25 am - Benson, AZ
Andrea, I would suggest that you attend the seminars of as many surgeons as you can. As far as I am concerned it is never too early to start the process. I had my surgery at NW hospital in Tucson with Dr. Patrick Chiasson. He is the greatest. I attended 4 seminars and I chose the doctor that I felt most comfortable with. Most doctors require some of the same things. So if you start the process early before your insurance company allows you you are so much ahead of the program. Many insurance require that you have 6 months of doctor supervised weight loss. Start this now if you haven't done it. Also with some it has to be done within the last two years. Another suggestion that I have for you is to attend support group meetings. I attended for a year and a half before I had surgery and so I knew what to expect and what might happen. And I was so ready. In Tucson we have two meetings a month. One at El Dorado on the first Tuesday of the month in the classroom at 7:00 p.m. with orientation at 6:30. The other is the third Monday of the month in classroom A-D at Northwest Medical Center at 7:00 p.m. with orientation at 6:30. Orientation is such an important part of this group. You are given a packet of information that helps before, during and after surgery. There is also a potluck at different members homes, or clubhouses each month with a clothing exchange. So please Join us! Clara Jo Wogstad Dr. Chiasson lap Oct. 28, 2003 303/150/153
Most Active