AHCCCS QUESTION????????

sgirl
on 12/15/04 1:54 am - tucson, AZ
I have some questions about the AHCCCS insurance plan. Please respond if you have had problems with them or can contribute anything to this post. I am so furious, the insurance is looking for meanial excuses to drag this longer than it needs to. First of all the representative actually got into a long heated discussion with my doctor. My doctor has really gone to bat for me, and sees that the surgery will eleviate alot of the problems that I am having. I have 110 pounds to lose and the insurance does not think that it is enough for me to qualify. My question is: has anyone had any problems with this insurance? Thanks a mil.
Kendis R.
on 12/17/04 3:30 pm - Mesa, AZ
I have APIPA I began the process in June and had surgery in November. Never had any problems. They paid my doc and hospitol out of network they were great. If your docs office knows what they want upfront it should not be a big deal. Best Wishes Kendis
Shannon R.
on 12/19/04 8:49 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Sally, I don't know if Mercy Care has changed their rules. But, I had my surgery with Dr. Juarez on July 28th using Mercy Care and they approved me on the first try. It took me about 4 months to gather all the information and have the testing done. However, they paid for everything and have been great about paying for my after care as well. I've never had a problem. I am 5'7 and started at 301lbs. I have a list of everything they needed on my profile under the insurer section. I was surprised that they didn't need a physician documented diety history. They took my statement of all the various diets I had tried at home like Atkins, etc. and a letter from my PCP stating that I had been struggling to lose weight for quite some time. Please let me know if you have any questions and good luck to you. Shannon
baddgurrl
on 12/23/04 3:06 am - Chino Valley, AZ
Actually I had Mercy Care and got approval right away, within days actually, but from beginning to end it was like 6 months to surgery. I also had one of the most experienced and noted surgeons in this field, so I KNOW there was no scrimping on that. I was considered a lightweight, but also had co-morbitities, mostly hypo thyroidism, and diabetes that required Insulin. All I can say is this if you don't have a Dr. with experience and what you need to be approved by ahhccs it might be worth your while to find a Dr. that knows the process, and the verbage they use. It was no problem whatsoever, I am sure they (AHCCCS) are already seeing a savings on my insulin and other things I had to have. But there was no problem whatsoever with Mercy Care, and certainly my surgeons office did not treat me differently than any other Insured patient, the care is not free, they are being compensated. Keep pushing don't give up even if they turn you down, it is definitely worth having the surgery.
Most Active