Cardiac Clearance Question

Trisha
on 12/4/04 2:46 pm - Glendale, AZ
I have to have a cardiac clearance because my BMI is so high, even though I have no heart problems and I'm only 31. Anyway, so I have my cardiac clearance appt this Thursday. What can I expect at that appointment? The scheduler there said he'd go over my history and see what needs to be run. What he can do that day in office, he'll do, and what he can't we'll schedule for the next day or whatever. I assume he'll do an EKG, blood pressure, pulse rate, etc. But will I be connected to wires and a treadmill? Is that a stress test? I always see that in movies/on tv, etc. What can I expect? And how soon do you think the cardiologists office will send Dr. Juarez my clearance? The cardiologist I am going to is Ehrlick at 5th Ave/Thomas.
tres35cowgirl8
on 12/4/04 10:46 pm - * _ *, AZ
Yes that is a stress test they can also do it without the treadmill, the can hook up an IV and give it to you that way ( I had it that way) I couldn't do treadmill because of the surgery on my right knee. Mine was do at AZ heart on 35th and cactus ( I think cactus ) EKG is fast just putting wires on take's a bit 10 min. mine had result's in a week. I was cleared.
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/04 12:52 am - CA
Trisha, Your appt may just be a discussion, exam, EKG, and a blood pressure check. They may also put a clip on your finger (no pain) to check oxygen levels. If the doctor feels there is no need for a treadmill, that may be all they do and he will write a release for you to have surgery. If he thinks there is a need he may request a regular treadmill test or a thallium treadmill test (drug induced test where you just lay on the bed). The thallium one is usually only done for those that are able physically to do the regular treadmill. Each doctor would be different on the length of time it would take to get results and write a release so be sure to ask what kind of time frame to expect. Mary
Debbie R.
on 12/6/04 12:57 am - Chandler, AZ
I don't know where you are having your appointment. My EKG showed a problem so I went to the Arizona Heart Institute and the doctor scheduled a chemical stress test (I was not feeling well enough at that time to get on the treadmill) and heart ultrasound for a week or so later. The scan came back showing a blockage so I had to have a heart catheterization in the hospital. That's when they go through an artery in your groin and go up the artery with a little camera to check out to make sure you have no blocked arteries. The test came out fine -- looks like it was a shadow from my breast. Hopefully, your EKG will be fine and that should be all the tests you need. Good luck.
sball G.
on 12/6/04 2:07 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Dear Trisha: I am having surgery next Tuesday (12/14) over at Paradise Valley Hospital with Dr. Magary. Their staff asked me to get cardiac clearance because of past use of Phen/Fen. But from what I read on these boards it seems everyone has to have a cardiac visit so please don't feel you were singled out. I had my cardiac clearance sort of spread over two visits. I saw Dr. Prasad who is located in the medical building next to PV Hospital The first visit they did some basic health stuff and then an EKG. Then they did a stress test where they have the EKG leads still hooked up and you walk on a treadmill that speeds up every 3 minutes. You just go with it until you can no longer keep up. I sort of expected that this would happen (just a gut feel) so I decided to wear sweat pants and gym shoes to the appointment that day. As a guy I had to take my short off for all the tests. It was done with the doctor watching me (he was a male). I then had to come back for a 2nd visit for my ECG because the Echo Technician only works in the office on Thursday and Friday. This is just them doing an ultrasound of your heart. If you have had an ultrasound done for a baby or for your gallbladder and other organs it is the same thing. In and out in 30 minutes. Good Luck. In you have any more questions just let me know. I will do the best I can to help out. Sincerely, Joe Rostowsky
Shannon R.
on 12/7/04 6:50 am - Mesa, AZ
My first appointment with the cardiologist was medical history, blood pressure, and an EKG. The doctor thought perhaps I had an enlarged chamber due to the results of the EKG, so he ordered an echocardiogram, which is an ultrasound of the heart. I had that 3 days later and it took the cardiologist's office 4 days to get the result to Dr. Juarez' office. I was really scared going into all the testing. But, it really turned out to be a piece of cake. Shannon
Randi D.
on 12/8/04 1:26 am - Peoria, AZ
Trisha, I was scheduled to have my surgery on Dec 2nd, and was notified on Monday that I would need to get cardiac clearance. I went to see the cardiologist where he told me based on the fluid in my lungs and my abnormal EKG it looked like I had had a minor heart attack. I was sent for an ultrasound and stress test. I am going on Friday to have blood work done and a new xray taken. I see the cardiologist on Monday, and I am hoping to get clearance. I heard Juarez is booked out until January/February. Randi
Most Active