Training Fees or After Care Support Fees

Jeana S.
on 10/11/04 8:32 am - Gilbert, AZ
Do all of the bariatric surgery programs require separate fees for "Support" which can not be covered by insurance? I've seen these fees run anywhere from $1200.00 to $1850.00 on top of the surgery fees and have been told they are always out of pocket expenses. Having worked in the industry, I understood that patient follow up post operatively was part of the fee the surgeon receives for performing the surgery and group therapy most certainly can be coded for medical reimbursement. Has anyone used a surgeon who doesn't charge these extra fees? AZ-Jeana
baddgurrl
on 10/11/04 9:58 am - Chino Valley, AZ
If you look at my profile you can see who my surgeon was, and all after care and support groups etc. for lifetime is included if I am not incorrect, I had NO out of pocket expense for any of the things you mention. Sounds like a racket to me, or if they can get more money from you they will..............
Cheryl E.
on 10/13/04 3:23 am - Chandler, AZ
My surgeon charged me a flat fee for his surgery, the hospital stay and the anesthesiologist. That fee included visits to him for a year on a monthly basis and then a once-a-year checkup for life. I agree with the other poster -- sounds like a racket. There are several support groups in Arizona, including two to which I belong: Central Valley (which meets at Banner Mesa Hospital in Mesa on alternate Thursdays) and Chandler (which meets at Chandler Hospital on alternate Tuesdays). While the groups certainly don't replace your doctor and his/her medical advice, there are a wonderful -- and FREE -- source of support, guidance and information. Good luck, Jeana! Cheryl
Most Active