??BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS??

sgirl
on 10/4/04 10:32 am - tucson, AZ
Does anyone know if blood transfusions are given routinely during surgery. I fear all the illnesses out there and my religious background prohibits this. I am not sure if this is discussed at the initial consultation or if this is something I need to discuss on day of surgery. Has anyone had any issues or problems with their docs. not honoring their beliefs or wishes? I really would like to hear from you. There are so many options out there that can replace a blood transfusion, that I don't want to feel pressured or treated differently. Thank you all.
Janette
on 10/5/04 12:07 am - Peoria, AZ
They are not routinely done but could be necessary in an emergency. 2 things you can do (talk to your Dr.) is 1) donate your own blood prior to surgery and 2) if the hospital offers it a blood conservation program. I had mine at Banner Good Sam in Phoenix and called and set up with the blood conservation program prior to surgery and than they came to preop and had me sign the papers necessary.
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/04 3:51 pm - CA
I was told that with the RNY a blood transfusion was normally not needed. You definitely should talk to your surgeon tho especially about your beliefs about the transfusions. I was told that IF I wanted that I could donate my own blood a couple of weeks before surgery as a backup IF blood was needed. When you do this, the blood can only be used for the patient who donated it. If not needed it is disposed of. I don't know if your beliefs would allow that, but it might be an option. My surgeon didn't see the need for me to do that and I didn't need any transfusions ... I had open RNY. Mary
joyful516
on 10/6/04 2:29 am - Gilbert, AZ
They asked me at the hospital if I wanted any if it was needed and I had to sign a document one way or another, it is your choice.
Most Active