what do I "eat"

K R.
on 10/3/04 4:33 pm - Phoenix, Maricopa
I give everyone who has had this surgery a big hand. It is not easy at all. I am almost 1 week post op and I am going crazy. I dont feel hungry at all, but I know I need to "eat" something. Does anyone have any suggestions on mushy foods to eat?
Randi D.
on 10/4/04 1:16 am - Peoria, AZ
I'm scheduled to have my surgery on Dec 2nd, but my sister had hers 4 years ago. She ate cottage cheese, chili without beans, and soup. I'm curious. Did your Doc say it was okay to go off clear liquids? My paperwork says 6 weeks of clear liquids.
K R.
on 10/6/04 4:09 am - Phoenix, Maricopa
NO, I was on clear liquids while I was in the hospital, but when I was ready to come home they told me that I could have anything that would go through a blender. This is not easy at all. The good thing is that your not hungry at all, and you almost have to force yourself to "eat" 3x daily. I do cottage cheese, refried beans, baked potato (no skin), tuna with Picked (sliced very fine) and hot cereal so far. I just cannot imagine anything blended would taste very good. Good luck on your surgery!
Stephanie J.
on 10/4/04 9:57 am - Tucson, AZ
You're probably best off sticking the first few weeks with very easily digestible things like chicken soup broth, boullions, diet pudding, diet jello, and protein drinks, along with as many small sips of water as possible. I highly recommend the Nectar Roadside Lemonade or Nectar Fuzzy Navel for the protein drinks. You can mix them with very little water (4 or 5 ounces, even), and stir them with a fork to mix them up. Then add a little ice. It makes it so you don't have to gut down a really big drink. And the less you're putting in there right now, the better. Try to just take it as easy as possible on that tummy for the time being. And be prepared to go through a period of mourning during this time. It can be the toughest part of the whole thing, especially when there's so little variety in things you can eat and the payoff of rapid weight loss hasn't kicked in to the point where you can see and feel a huge difference. It will get better soon. Get walking if you can, too. It's important to get in the swing of excercising as soon as possible, even if you can only do a half a block at first. Good Luck. - Stephanie J
Keepers_kitty
on 10/5/04 12:59 am - Buckeye, AZ
I am 2 weeks out and I have been eating some of the following: ricotta cheese with a tad bit of carb options marinara sauce with a bit of motz cheese, melted in the micro about 15 seconds. Like lasagne with no pasta. I also like tuna with mustard and a tad bit of light mayo...I wanna add relish but not allowed to as of yet. I also tried doing carb options terriaki glaze with some boneless skinless chick boobs in the crock pot. It was yummy and really moist. Hope this helps. ~Rachel
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/04 3:56 pm - CA
I wasn't hungry either the first few weeks. My surgeon had me on total liquids for almost 2 months (his protocol for all patients). I did protein shakes, broth, V8 Juice, Propel Water, diluted (and I mean diluted) juices, water, crystal light. If you are on the soft food stage, most foods can be pureed in a blender by adding water. One of my joys was chicken marsala put thru the blender with added broth or water. Early on, my surgeon allowed mashed potatoes (make them slightly runny) and I added in melted cheese to give it more protein. Did your surgeon give you guidelines to follow, lists of foods he allowed? I know each surgeon can be drastically different on what they allow their patient both in food and in exercise. Mary
joyful516
on 10/6/04 2:26 am - Gilbert, AZ
I am at two weeks yesterday. Anything you can blend or puree, if you are on soft foods. Meatloaf, cheese enchilada, etc. I am doing several soups, meatballs, cottage cheese, canned tamale (smooshed of course). S/F Popsciles, applesauce, and canned corned beef hash is already smooshy, has some flavor. Egg, tuna, chicken, ham, beef and egg salad all those have protein and are mushy. I hope you find something that works for you.
Most Active