Surgery date is Oct 28, 2004 Cryed today

risa L.
on 9/3/04 2:05 am - tucson, AZ
Is it right to be nervious? Am I doing the right thing? Making the right choice? Is health important or what if something goes wrong? My name is Risa. I live in tucson, Az and Im 37. I was all for this surgery until I checked the mail today. I received a big packet of stuff for my surgery and just broke down. Im very scraed. The worst just went through my mind. Im a single parent of a wonderful 16 year old. My life is his. So of course Im thinking about all the what if's...... To get approved, be happy and excited and as I get closer and the more mail and information start to come, is this the right thing. I take 10 pills everyday and I wonder will all the meds go away???? Will my diabites continue to ruin my life? So my happiness as turned out to be a sad day today. Have to work and just feel like staying home today. Anyhow would love to hear from people and talk. gets very loney talking to people that dont understand what I am going through so this is the best place to talk, since everyone is trying to or already had the surgery done. Peace, Hope and love to all Risa (Scared)
Michelle B.
on 9/3/04 2:47 am - Phoenix, AZ
Risa, I have those same feelings, I'm a single mother with 2 teenage boys 15 and almost 17. I hope to have surgery in Oct or Nov. We wouldn't be normal if we weren't scared, but I look at it this way... I really want to be healthier and I know my boys want that too, and lord forbid if something should happen, they're not little boys anymore! Not to say they don't need us anymore...but you know what I mean I think. Hopefully we both have very skilled surgeons, and we'll be fine! Although, I must admit I do plan on writing very long emotional letters to my boys just in case. Good luck to you! Michelle
risa L.
on 9/4/04 2:29 am - tucson, AZ
Thank you for your comments. I am writing a letter to my mom and my son. I think my son is the one who is very concerned right now. We had a few problems yesterday and I think he is taking it out on others. Not sure though. But I guess I just need to decide for me, and make the right decisions for my life and my health, I guess if anything goes wrong I can know I had 37 wonderful years and if everything come out great then hopefully I can have another 37 wonderful years. I just need to take day by day, thats all I can do right know. Thanks for talking with me, have a great day and good luck with your surgery. Love Risa
Stacey R.
on 9/3/04 3:22 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Risa, It is very normal to be scared!! I felt the same way before the surgery!! I think the key is to make sure that you have researched everything and that you able to accept the changes that you must make in order to live with the surgery!! I have had some complications since the surgery and am still experiencing them. However, the bright side is that I have lost 60 lbs and I'm off of my blood pressure and diabetes medication. Just hang in there....everything will work out!! Stacey
risa L.
on 9/4/04 2:35 am - tucson, AZ
Hello, thank you for your comments. How long ago did you have surgery? what complications are you experiencing? I guess I need to get out of my mind that I am going to be running a marathon when surgery is over, lol. I know its a long process, to the recovery, but with all the meds I take thats what I want to get rid of and my diabities. That would be nice. Thank you for taking the time to talk, hope all is well and good luck with your continued weight loss. Love Risa
Shannon R.
on 9/3/04 2:25 pm - Mesa, AZ
Hi Risa, I was scared out of my mind before I had my surgery. I have two incredible kids (a 7 year old and an 18 year old), and I kept thinking about what would happen to them if I didn't come out of the surgery okay. For a while, I convinced myself that I was doing the most selfish thing in the world by having the surgery. I thought about it and prayed about it for a long time and ultimately decided that being 301lbs and getting bigger every year was also a very selfish thing for me to do. They wouldn't have had a mother sooner or later at the rate I was going. So, I decided to take the chance and go for it. I am sure glad I did! My 18 year old has been so supportive and I think we've actually grown closer through the process, and my little one is so good at keeping me in check about my food choices. I'm a little over a month out and have lost 38lbs with relatively few problems. I am off nearly all my medication, even my asthma medication. The surgery was the easy part! It's the getting used to a different way of eating and making the right choices that is the hard part. I am truly convinced that I made the right choice for the future. I am so thankful that I will be able to be more of an active participant in my little one's life. I plan on living to a ripe old age and enjoying the heck out of my grandchildren someday. Make the decision that is *right* for you. Having successfully raised a 16 year old means that you are obviously a resilient, intelligent woman and you will make the right choice. Best of luck to you, Risa, and God bless. Shannon =)
risa L.
on 9/4/04 2:40 am - tucson, AZ
Hello Shannon, thanks for your comments. Weight is a big issue, but my son is bigger. All the what if's build up and its like I cant be selfish. If something goes wrong at least I tried to make myself healthier, and if nothing goes wrong then I did the right thing. I wont know until the day after surgery correct? Not like I can have a fortune cookie that can predic what will happen, would be nice though. Im glad youmade the right choice, everyone needs to know that they have choices for this surgery. I just hope it works out teh best for me, and that I get off all my meds and clear my diabities up, wont know until October. Thank you for talking with me, good luck in your continued weight loss. Love, Risa
Most Active