Furious with primary care doc! HELP!!

Gene H.
on 2/29/04 7:36 am - Ft. Mohave, Az
Sheryl, Powerful letter, and I could have written it for myself with only minor changes. Man, this is depressing that your care provider is not supporting you on this. I wonder if she see's something that we have failed to see that might prove to be detrimental to you? You definately need to have a talk with her, and find out exactly why she is not with you on this. If there is good reason, then have her state it so you will understand. If, on the other hand, she is just non supportive of this procedure, then it would be obvious that she is not keeping up with current medicine and new procedures that are now in place to help us "Special" people. I have witnessed some physicians that are out of touch, and weigh 120 #s and they have no weight issues of their own, and they just don't understand what we go through just trying to fit in. Be-damned the health issues. For once in my life there are now options available to us, and there is always somebody that thinks they know it all, and try to use thier position to force us to accept their opinions as being the best for us. I would make an appt. with another pcp right now, (you can always cancel it if you want) and then camp out on her doorstep till she agrees to discuss this with you. If she won't and starts playing this I can see you in a month crap then dump her and move on. Maybe she would like to pay for all your re-tests for you. I also agree you should take the profanity out of the letter. I would however use the letter for notes and talk to her face to face. They have a harder time blowing you off when you are right there. Look her right in the eye when you speak and be forceful. If she has good reason, then you need to be open minded as well. She just might be trying to save your life??? Remember no matter how badly you want this it might not be the right thing for you right now. What ever you do my thoughts will be with you and I want it to work for you. Best of luck. Gene
Sheryl Tilley
on 2/29/04 8:44 am - Prescott, AZ
HI Gene! I apologize again for the 's' word. I have an ap't with her tomorrow at 11:45. Please everybody pray to their higher power (whatever that is or isn't) for me. Thanks so much! Sheryl
Mema J.
on 3/8/04 2:25 am - Albuquerque, NM
Sheryl, I've been reading the notes written to you because I'm considering WLS, but as a Certified Diabetes Educator, I have to put my 2 cents in also! I would definitely recommend that you see a CDE or an Endocrinologist about your Diabetes before you're scheduled for surgery. The most important thing is to get your DM under control before surgery so that you heal well, even if it means going on insulin temporarily until you lose some weight. If your blood glucose is high it's going to prolong the healing process and make you more prone to infection and with Intensive Therapy, there's no reason that your DM can't be gotten under control in a very short time. Most PCP's make a med change, see you in 3 months, and then make another change. Intensive Therapy means seeing you and making changes weekly, or every 2 weeks. It really makes a difference. Good luck. Be persistent, but professional and things will go your way. Jean
Most Active