Psychiatric evaluations

Sheryl Tilley
on 2/18/04 6:22 am - Prescott, AZ
Hi everyone! I'm Sheryl - and in Prescott, AZ. I am trying to get my surgery going. I see some mention 'psychiatric evaluations'. Can anybody prep me about what they will ask me? I truly need this surgery for urgent health reasons and don't want to say the wrong thing. My BMI is 50! PLease help me. Hugs and best wishes to all! Sheryl
Ellie D.
on 2/18/04 11:27 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Sheryl for my psych eval they asked out my eating habits, my child hood, my home life now, normal boring stuff. I also had to do a MMP test. This is a test that the questions are rephrased over and over to see if you answer the same. Boring very Boring.... Hope this helps alittle Good Luck Ellie
Janice W.
on 2/26/04 7:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Sheryl, I'm Jan and I live in Phoenix, I have already had my psychiatric evaluation and it was basically about the surgery itself. The psychiartrist ask me about all the aspects of the surgery, and about my past (like drug use, diets, family), it was very easy and I do agree with the prior post, a little on the boring side, but it is nothing to worry about. All they really want to know is if you have any major issues that need to be dealt with first and if you have a good understanding of the surgery and the complications that can arise from it. Jan Feel free to e-mail me , I have read and replied to a more recent post and it seems like we have some things in common like Medicare and state funded health agencies maybe we can help each other.
Sheryl Tilley
on 2/26/04 9:18 am - Prescott, AZ
Thanks for answering Jan. I'll be contacting you for sure. Did the Medicare and state funded agency pay for the nutritional counciling and psychiatric evaluation too? Last night one of the women in the support group said her costs for the psychiatric part - $800! Ten sessions at $80 a piece. Scary! Sheryl
Janice W.
on 2/27/04 10:13 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hey Sherly, My part of the pysic. evaluation was a $15.00 co-pay, my surgeon hasn't said anything about the nutrition part yet, but if I remember correctly I just have a co-pay (if that) for the nutritionist. As for the woman who said she had to go for ten sessions; sounds like maybe she had some other issues to deal with, because everyone that I have talked with in my other group has only had to go once, unless they had issues to be dealt with prior to the surgery. What you could possibly do is contact your insurance and ask what your co-pay would be for the psychiatric evaluation and a nutritionist. It might help ease your mind a little. Hope this helps. Jan
Most Active