Insurance Company on board..waiting for surgeon

baddgurrl
on 12/17/03 12:42 am - Chino Valley, AZ
From what I understand from my PC, after months of calling around trying to find out what the heck happenned to all the paperwork we got together for the surgeon, and the Insurance company. It turns out my Insurance okayed the procedure on September 30th, and had just been waiting for return call, and confirmation that my surgeon (Dr. Newhoff) would agree to perform the surgery!!!!! I have called that office several times and been told they know nothing about my case, and no more paperwork has been sent to them!!! Finally after my Dr. called the same person I talk to, there are papers there, and we just have a few formalities to tend to...AAAGGGGHHHHH!! I know when I went in for my consultation they were booking surgeries like 4 months in advance, so I would have been having mine soon if "Laurie" or someone in the office didn't drop the ball. I have mixed feelings , what else will be wrong with my paperwork or whatever before this gets going? And although everything I have found with Dr. Newhoff gives me confidence of his abilities, I'm slightly sketchy about his staff, what if he's given Betty Bluths chart with me on the table????
Kim R.
on 12/17/03 4:41 am - Peoria, AZ
Isn't it infuriating??!!! I have been calling since Monday to my insurance co. just to get a phone call back verifying that they did receive my packet last Friday. To date, NO ONE HAS RETURNED my call! You hear everyone say that you have to keep on them (surgeon's, insurance co. etc) but how do you do that when no one will give you the courtesy of a call back. I am so p*&%@ right now I could scream. I am so sympathetic to your plight! The good news is you HAVE been approved. That is the biggest obstacle. Hang in there, I'm sure whatever you have to do is minor. Like I said, the biggest battle is over, YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED....YA!!!! Kim Richards
baddgurrl
on 12/17/03 8:32 am - Chino Valley, AZ
I know I would think that these people although not wanting to run a surgery mill , would at least be interested in keeping their surgeons busy, I guess though that they are plenty busy. When I went to my "consultation" there was one lady there that would be a self pay, and she was given TOTAL priority, she would not be put on a surgery wait list, but immediately worked in, and when they found out she was self pay, they almost fell over themselves. You are definitely right about them returning phone calls, or even answering questions if you happen to get a live person. It only took someone calling from my doctors office for them to change their tune, or I think personally that when we call they don't even look at what we're asking them about, they just blow us off and say they haven't received it yet. I'm glad I made copies of everything before they got sent out, but still I waited like they told me to, only inquiring when I was about losing my mind. Just to think 3 days after my insurance got the paperwork they had sent on to the surgeon approval................AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH
Arizona_Sun
on 12/17/03 10:27 am - Gilbert, AZ
Carol - do make sure to get copies of the approval letter from the insurance company for your records. At least with gastric bypass it would not be like having the wrong leg taken off. But, I understand your concerns about not having the correct medical information available when you have your surgery. You will need to be your own advocate when you go in and make sure that they have the information they need. When in doubt, speak out! Will you have the same insurance carrier in 2004? You might want to verify that nothing changes that will affect your approval status. I am not sure of what the process is to lock in a date and have your insurance carrier accept/honor that as part of the approval process. Sandra
Betsy M.
on 1/16/04 11:09 pm - Lake Havasu City, AZ
Carol, I have a question. How soon before the initial consult ( when we listen to the surgeon and michelle and Ins. lady come in and talk to us) do they call us and tell us our date or should I call them?? I has only been a week so maybe its too soon? Betsy
Most Active