I do digest... part 5

Patti H.
on 11/18/03 12:44 pm - Tucson, AZ
Tuesday, November 18, 2003 9:21 pm: Ow! That hurt!!! Client on her way in the door and I decide to gulp down the last bite instead of methodically chewing and smashing and getting it all sloshy (okay, that's disgusting). And it HURT right there in the center of my chest... And right through to my back! So, this morning was chick breakfast. Tuesdays at 6:30 am (You gotta know I love these chicks) we have breakfast at a dive. It only took three returns to the kitchen to get the poached egg right. But it's a dilemma to eat breakfast at 6:30 in the morning when you have to wor****il 9:00 at night. Them was some might long hours between 6:30 and when I had a window for eating - the owie gulp which took place at 1:29. Then a long long long stretch to 9:00 when I started dinner. THAT ain't gonna fly for a life! Gotta call the dietician and ask what to do on Tuesdays. Students ask about my surgery and how it is to eat now. The look of astonishment on their faces when I describe my food plan surely must be a reflection of what I would have thought before. Now? Now I'm convinced I've eaten too much if I finish the egg. Food as an issue is still intact. But it IS changing. Like right now... I feel really too full. I shouldn't have had the teaspoon of beans with the fish. Now I know this is a howl considering how I used to eat. But it worries me that I feel past full. Oh! I walk into my office today (obviously, for the first time in a couple of weeks). I see a brown bag on the corner of my desk. Indignantly, I grab it wondering who left their lunch there, only to find - of course - that it was I who left it there. I open it to the revolting smell of two-week old tuna fish sandwich from Beyond Bread... And a bag of chips. My instantaneous reaction was, "oohhhh... chips!" followed by... "you can't put those in your pouch, Patti!" The immediacy of the surgery... well, its impact on my body... has made the decision to NOT down a bag of chips happen instantly. I couldn't have done that without the surgery, and I'm so deeply grateful that I got to have it. I was tired today. Saw five clients and then took a nap before going to the University. Felt like WAY too much for a day. I'm restin' tomorrow! G'nite, Moxies! Patti Harada in Tucson A Moxie Doxey Doll at 11 days post op Definition of Moxie The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.
J M.
on 11/19/03 12:41 am - AZ
Hi Patti, I just have a question about eating solids so soon. I went to BTC and was on a liquid, soft food diet for 8 weeks. The doctor and nutritionist both spoke of hurting the pouch or letting the pouch heal. Is it only BTC that makes you wait so long to eat solid foods? What post op diets is everyone else following? Are you concerned about protein? Thanks, Judie
Patti H.
on 11/19/03 2:29 am - Tucson, AZ
Judie, I (and my doctor's program) am very concerned about protein. I don't want my hair to fall out if I can help it. More importantly, I want to take this precious time where I'm scared sh*tless of my pouch to learn mindful eating habits... things like chewing thoroughly... paying attention to how it feels going in... how it tastes... how it smells... how to eat without television or reading or computer. Things that will ultimately keep me at my goal weight once my pouch stretches. I worry about what I see coming out of The Wish center and the BTC because I'm watching people drink lemonade, eat bagels, cream of whatever-soups, sugar free this and that, and virtually no protein. I understand the thinking of the bariatric surgeons around the U.S. who are advocating liquid diets, but I think (and what the hell do I know) that they are misinformed. I'm doing so well and learning so much and changing so fast, I gotta believe that they know what they're doing. Thanks for asking, Judie! with love, Patti
joyful516
on 11/21/03 1:57 am - Gilbert, AZ
Those are the things I am concerned about is trying to drink protien stuff for 8 weeks. I can eat soft and chew like the dickens. I do not think I could handle meatloaf pureed in the blender. I am going through the WishCenter because they are helping me with financing. My insurance is a bust. I am trying hard to learn to chew before the surgery and hopefully not be on liquids for 8 weeks. Your words were an inclouragement to me. I also noticed that you possibly went back to work within the two weeks allowed. Am I reading that right? I would appreciate any feedback.
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/03 1:33 pm - El Mirage, AZ
That isn't soon at all. They have you on soft foods one week post op with the Scottsdale bariatric center. Their reasoning is, you MUST basically re-learn how to eat, and more importantly CHEW. What benefit is a protein shake, for teaching you THAT lesson? Also, the saliva mixes with your food as you chew, helping you to digest. (hence the other reaon for no drinks with meals) Aside from that, I don't want to BE on another "diet", and PERSONALLY speaking, protein shake just SCREAMS "diet" to me. Food is life. Why avoid it? Just be SMART about it the choices you make and the food you swallow. Michelle Surgery in 2 more days
Most Active