Pre-op Education Yesterday

Patti H.
on 10/23/03 1:51 am - Tucson, AZ
Well, I continue to be dazzled by my experience with Scottsdale Bariatric and the Scottsdale Shea hospital. Having had a few surgeries in the past, I know how miserable it is when your hospital doesn't know your doctor well. This business of having the hospital staff as knowledgeable as the doctor's staff about how the doctor works and what he/she wants is incredibly comforting. I got to meet, yesterday, the women having surgery the day before me and with me on the 7th. It was good to build some relationship with them before hand knowing that we'll be pacing the halls and "sucking our balls"* together on the 7th, 8th and 9th. I sat in the room yesterday barely able to comprehend that I'm actually here... I'm actually doing it... It's really going to happen for ME. It's not just a hope anymore. I really get to do this. After fighting such a horrible battle with Cigna, it's nearly unfathomable. Thank you all for being here. *"Sucking our balls" ? What is the name of that little plastic thing you have to suck to raise the ball up the tube? Anyway, my surgeon requires that you do it 20 times an hour after surgery. Yog! I don't want to do it once a day! Love to you all! Patti in Tucson Surgery date: November 7th
Donna M.
on 10/23/03 4:05 am - Avondale, AZ
Patti, just make sure you don't get the "bariatric bed" and if you do that SOME nurse knows how to use it....LOL I'm SOOOOO excited for you.
Patti H.
on 10/23/03 9:04 am - Tucson, AZ
Okay, what the heck is the "bariatric bed"?
Jessmac
on 10/23/03 8:02 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for this post, I was wondering what it must feel like to finally sit in that class. Congratulations on making it to this big milestone in your epic journey. My pre-op class is next Wednesday and I too am having a hard time internalizing the fact that I really get this. I really get to beat this sucker, once and for all. I keep thinking, "Naw, really? Me? Are you sure?" Do you think it will be all too real when we wake up in recovery feeling like we've been hit by a bus?! Well, I didn't mean to ramble on so, just find myself thinking about little else lately. Here's to the time of our lives! Jess
Rae H.
on 10/25/03 3:05 pm - Tempe, AZ
Dear Patty... The breathing exercises hurt like h-e-double hockey sticks AFTER surgery but try to do as much cardio exercise now as you can... even just breating the deepest breaths you can and then letting them out very slowly (almost meditative) about 3x a day... I had an open banded gastroplasty and an open RNY and the one thing I rememer is that it hurt like HELL to breathe when I woke up because I didn't practice breathing before the surgery... plus the breathing exercises will help you to relax, center yourself and breathe thru any pain you may be having until your wonder-drugs kick in... Oh how I LOVE the wonder drugs.... If ya need anything just drop me a note... [email protected]
Joanne M.
on 10/26/03 6:26 am - Mesa, Az
Hi Patti, Good Luck to you with surgery--I am attending the Pre Op class on the 29th and I know that I will be so excited too--finally after waiting over a year for this to happen. When Dr. Blackstone accepted me as her Patient the tears were just streaming down my face with joy. In July when I finally got a date November seemed light years away and now it is only days. I need a good butterfly net to catch all these guys--don;t want them flying around operating room!!!lol Good Luck-Joanne in Mesa
Jackie B.
on 11/2/03 4:07 am - Phoenix, AZ
Patti: I can remember worrying that something would happen to cancel my surgery clear up to when I can't remember anything until after I awoke. All I could think of was, "It really has happened, is is done" all day long and even into the next. It had been such a battle to get the surgery that when it was over I was floating on clouds. My stay in the hospital (the first time) was marvelous. They are so good with you that I didn't even feel like a patient; more like a guest. I hear Dr. Blackstone is working toward her own floor starting in January. She wants only staff that know about our particular problems, etc. Dr. Blackstone was on call the weekend I was there even though Dr. Doxey was my surgeon. I have never seen a more caring, down to earth person in my entire life. I think she is looking for the same in Dr. Doxey. All at Scottsdale Bariatric are blessed. Jackie
Most Active