Dr. Blackstone and Nutrition Plan

kellykelly
on 1/25/11 11:56 pm
If you used Dr. Blackstone's plan, can you tell me if the food choices increase at 1 month?  I'm getting really sick of chicken, eggs and yogurt!

Thanks.

Kelly
Pippigirl
on 1/26/11 6:17 am
Kelly,
I saw that you mentioned Dr. Blackstone and just wanted to offer some encouragement.  I haven't been on this site in years-until today.  I smiled when you talked about getting sick of chicken, eggs and yogurt.  I remember being at that stage and I wanted to tell you that you have no idea how your mindset and outlook will change.  I had surgery in 2003 with Dr. Blackstone.  Some of the major changes in my life?  Here are a few:
- I no longer live to eat.  I eat to live, simply to sustain myself.  I'm not a slave to food.
- I no longer feel guilty about what I eat, feel like I have to "diet" or feel like I have to be restricted as  
  far as food goes.
- Over the past few years I've been able to experience what it feels like to be "normal."  I suppose
   I've gone beyond "normal," because I have people call me words like "tiny," "skinny," and other
   variations.  I feel even better than normal.  I feel beautiful-after spending all of my adult life, until
   age 33, as a morbidly obese woman.
- I lost 150 pounds.  I'm 5'6" and weigh 140 lbs.  I wear a size 8, which is still difficult for me to
   believe some times.  There are times when I pick something my size up, hold it up and say,
   "There's no way this will fit me."  The surprise and pride is always there when I go to the fitting
   room and the pants fit me perfectly. 
- I'm able to love more completely, because I'm able to believe I can be loved and have people attracted to me.

I didn't want to get too long-winded, but those are some things I wanted to share with you.  One side note-when I was 1 year post-RNY, and not finished losing weight, I got pregnant with triplets.  Yes, I have triplets.  The pregnancy was great, my babies were all healthy and now they're 5 years old and all on the honor roll in kindergarten.  :)  Keep the faith, don't worry about food.  Best of luck to you!
Lanelle
kellykelly
on 1/26/11 7:40 am
Lanelle,

Thank you for your words of encouragement and for sharing your story with me.  I'm glad to say that right now I too don't feel the need to eat and only eat to sustain.  I know things will get easier as I progress through but I would kill for a carrot right now!  Otherwise I have no regrets about my decision for WLS.

Congrats on the triplets!

Kelly
dee492
on 1/27/11 12:32 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi Kelly!

I had surgery 13 months ago with Dr Blackstone so I feel ya on the food choices, but you will have more options soon enough and it will be great, you will find new and sometimes exciting recipes, I have lost about 130 pounds and am 30 pounds away from goal!
I am super excited for you!
Take care
Denise
        surgery 312                     current 184                       goal 150          
kellykelly
on 1/27/11 11:14 pm
Hi Denise,

I'm sticking with it and have found some great receipes from others on the OH site.  Congrats on your weight loss and I hope to join you there soon!

Kelly
beckipoohbear
on 1/27/11 1:10 am - AZ
Yes...with Blackstone your food choices do increase @ 1 mth, if I remember correctly you get some fruits and veggies to add in.   However, you should have other protein choices right now like beans and tofu and cheese if you need something to shake it up in the meantime.

Stick with it, the program works and just be glad we don't have to do all the crazy liquids and purees for weeks on end like some other people!

Good luck!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

kellykelly
on 1/27/11 11:13 pm
Rebecca,

Thanks for your response.  I am very glad we didn't have to do the crazy liquids and purees like many others.  I can have beans and tofu and cheese just didn't mention those things.  Been trying to avoid cheese because it's causing havoc with the digestion system if you know what I mean.

Glad to hear I'm gonna get some fruits and veggies though!

Take care,

Kelly
Superspouse
on 2/1/11 12:48 pm - AZ
I just went to the pre-op class last week and was told that after the first week, we could start having chicken, beans, fish and fruits and cooked veggies.( avoid corn and white potatoes) The plan has also changed where we get 1-3 100cal snacks per day. That basically allows you to eat every 3hrs. I am glad we only have to do the liquid diet for the first week and then onto real foods. Although, I am sure I will want a salad.

With being allowed to have cooked veggies, you should be able to cook some carrots and eat those.
kellykelly
on 2/1/11 11:45 pm
That's interesting because we were specifically told no fruits or vegetables and no snacking.  Well, I'm glad I'm going to class next week so I can get some new food choices.  I would really love some cooked carrots right now!

Thanks for your post!
beckipoohbear
on 2/2/11 5:02 am - AZ
Interesting...2 1/2 years ago we weren't allowed fruits or veggies of any type until after 1 month and there was to be absolutely NO snacking of any kind, forever and ever :)

It would be nice if when they update the program they let old patients know about it to.  Maybe they'll touch on it at my 3 year appointment in May.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Most Active