I'm Scheduled ....Just before the holidays.....

dee492
on 10/16/09 2:00 am - Chandler, AZ
So I am scheduled, and I am very excited, BUT it's just before Christmas..Dec 16th.... I am having mixed emotions, I have 2 kids and we always have our family to our house on Christmas Eve for the family Celebrations..my sister comes in from out of town...I feel like a Debbie Downer, because I dont want to cause anymore changes to the holiday routine this year. So I have a few questions and am seeking your help with your experiences?
1. One week post surgery, typically will I be feeling ok..able to participate in the family functions?
2. Did most of you feel pretty well after the 3 days in the hospital?
3. About how long in some of your experiences, did it take for you to learn your pouch and how to drink etc??
4. Is it normal to still have some fear of the surgery????

I would love your feedback.
valarie30
on 10/16/09 2:19 am - phoenix, AZ
I have  so much fear... even chickened out a year ago...  but I know I want it and I am going to have it....  I am not putting it off any more....   I am trying to get it approved asap!.  
Nerd Lover
on 10/16/09 4:15 am

Well I'm not post op for another 2 weeks and can share those experiences then.  But, according to the pre-op class, you will feel good in about 2 weeks.  They say you may be a bit weak, but that the surgical scars will have healed by then.    They also said it takes a good 4-6 weeks to be 100% healed inside and out from the surgery.

I know people who've gone back to work after a week.  Since you're with the same doctor as I am, she is only doing Laproscopic unless she HAS to do open.  You should be feeling like a champ in about a week or two.

The last thing I can answer (not experience but only pre-op) according to the pre-op class, the psychologist came and spoke and said that it is totally normal to be fearful of the surgery.  He said most people are scared to leave their kids behind and all of that.  So yes, it's totally normal.

In my experience...I am soooo scared, but really excited too.  It's been a very busy past couple of months.  Not to mention I'm running around trying to get my grocery list, my proteins, my vitamins AND I live 120 miles from the city!  Each day that passes I get more and more nervous, but I'm telling myself that this is going to be a GREAT experience, so I'm in it for the long haul.

~*ChRiStY*~

high/current/goal
272/143/140

I  NERDS!!!
dee492
on 10/16/09 4:28 am - Chandler, AZ
Thank you ..the whole fear thing..exactly it hit the nail on the head, it's all about the kids.
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/09 8:02 am
sunshine86
on 10/26/09 10:52 am
Hi Dee,

I'm about 4 months out from having the Realize band 'installed'. I would imagine that recovery from the RNY would be a bit more lengthy.... but for me, it took me a good 2-3 weeks before I was comfortable operating at normal speed. As with any surgery, it'll take a little bit of time before you feel 100% again. Just take it easy, you'll get things figured out.

As far as having fear about the surgery.... TOTALLY normal. I was totally nervous from the time I found out I was approved by my insurance.... up until the night before surgery. It's completely normal!!

As for your comment about not wanting to be a "Debbie Downer"........

I want to encourage you to put your needs first for once. If you're anything like me (and like a lot of other WLS patients).... you've probably spent the last however many years worrying about everyone else, and trying to make everyone else happy. For once, take the opportunity to focus on yourself.... and put your needs first. Now that you have your surgery date, as long as you're 100% sure that the surgery IS for you..... JUMP ON IT!!!!!

Let your family pamper you for once... I'm sure you've busted your butt during enough holidays.... let them worry about the details this year. Just relax.... recover.... and enjoy!!! :)

Sending big hugs your way!! :)
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

dee492
on 10/27/09 2:15 am - Chandler, AZ
I would like to thank you all for your feedback and encouragement. Still quite nervous, but I was nervous with my csections, gallbladder removal...etc, soooo i guess it would not be normal to NOT be nervous eh? Thanks again to you all!!! and congrats to you too!
Kyle H.
on 11/2/09 8:35 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Hi Dee!
Im not yet post-op, but I am scheduled right after you...December 21st. I am planning to have a great Thanksgiving and then buckling down to get ready. I told DH that I am going to be up for cooking the whole dinner that I normally do 4 days out from surgery and he told me not to worry...He'll get my jello and BBQ something for him and our son.

I am planning to take 3 weeks off work, and then come back somewhat slowly. I wish you all the best!
Kyle in Flagstaff
Most Active