Possible relocation to Arizona

CathieCAN
on 10/15/09 11:05 pm - Lake, MI
My husband may be getting the boot from his employer, the State of Michigan (they've downsized his department from 218 people to 111) -- the earliest layoff would be January, the latest March.  His Union claims to be working on stopping this as the State apparently went about notifying the employees contrary to how they're supposed to.

Anyway, we've decided if it comes down to this, we're leaving the State, whose economy is the pits.  One potential relocation spot is Arizona, so I thought I'd come to this board to get some pros and cons on the AZ.  I searched the web yesterday and there's a study out there that shows AZ is one of the "richest" states in the Union economically speaking (Michigan was rated 50), at this point in time, and is projected to be even better in the future.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the best places to relocate or where to stay away from?  I'm grateful for any insight.

Cathie
JRinAZ
on 10/15/09 11:25 pm - Layton, UT
On October 16, 2009 at 6:05 AM Pacific Time, CathieCAN wrote:
My husband may be getting the boot from his employer, the State of Michigan (they've downsized his department from 218 people to 111) -- the earliest layoff would be January, the latest March.  His Union claims to be working on stopping this as the State apparently went about notifying the employees contrary to how they're supposed to.

Anyway, we've decided if it comes down to this, we're leaving the State, whose economy is the pits.  One potential relocation spot is Arizona, so I thought I'd come to this board to get some pros and cons on the AZ.  I searched the web yesterday and there's a study out there that shows AZ is one of the "richest" states in the Union economically speaking (Michigan was rated 50), at this point in time, and is projected to be even better in the future.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the best places to relocate or where to stay away from?  I'm grateful for any insight.

Cathie
Cathie,
Layoffs and the possibility of it looming over our heads is affecting most of us.  I hope everything gets revamped so your State can hold onto it's workforce!

You may want to reserch AZ stats a bit more before jumping ship to our neck though.  I heard that we were just 3rd worst behind Nevada and California?  Hopefully the stocks doing better yesterday will be a jumpstart for the economy

In the meantime; focusing on our healthy programs is soooo important!  Stress does a number on our health and immune system anyway......we don't need to gain a pound or 2 to make things worse, right?!!!

Good luck!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

CathieCAN
on 10/15/09 11:48 pm - Lake, MI
Thanks for your reply.  Michigan, having put all its eggs (vehicles) in one basket for decades, is going to have a harder time coming out of the recession than most States.  We've got a 15.9% unemployment rate, and it's expected to get higher before it decides to level out.  Plus, our Canadian-born Governor has had her head stuck up her butt since being elected.  She's willing to lay off thousands of State employees, just so she can keep her "Promises" loans for college students.

The study I reviewed (www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Rich_States_Poor_States) shows AZ is just the opposite of what you're telling me -- but, you live there, don't you

Believe me, I'm definitely NOT stressing over this situation, and nothing, absolutely NOTHING would make me put my health, or my husband's, in jeopardy.  Our health comes first and foremost.  I'm looking at this situation on the bright side.  I've wanted to leave Michigan for many, many years, and this is going to be the kick in the butt for my husband.  Besides, I want to live in a warmer climate (he THINKS he's going to get me to move to Alaska- NOT!), especially since losing all my weight.

Cathie
Ann M.
on 10/19/09 2:33 am - Peoria, AZ
He Cathie, I moved here from Michigan 2 years ago.  I've gone through a layoff already but was fortunate to find another decent job within 2 months.  If you move to AZ, be prepared for taxes and more taxes.  People in Michigan think they have it bad, but not when you compare it to here.  Sales taxes can top 10% because of state and local taxes, license plates are very expensive (my 2007 Ford Focus costs almost $400 for 2 years, my 2004 Vibe is $178 a year but also needs to be smog tested).  Would I leave here?  Absolutely not, I love the weather, I love being able to go see concerts, ball games, the Desert Botanical Garden and I'm only a 4 hour drive from Vegas. 

There's a lot of good people around the Phoenix area and I don't think you'd regret coming if your hubby can find a job quickly.  I'm in the Sun City area which is for 55 and over but you can buy a house for less than $100,000 and get all the recreation you can handle at the Rec Centers.  I hope to see you soon.

BTW, I came from the Big Rapids area.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
CathieCAN
on 10/19/09 2:59 am - Lake, MI
Thanks for your reply, Ann.

The license plate fees don't seem too bad.  We're at $185.00 for one year for a 2007 Silverado, so that's not too much more.  Taxes are scary, but I think we'd find that anywhere nowadays.

Job wise, not too sure about my husband.  He'll be 62 in March, with heart problems.  But, he's a vet and can get most of what he needs at the VA hospitals, and his social security will kick in.  If we're able to get out from under most of what we've got here, we'd be able to "start over" and, if I'm able to find a job (been looking on the web and there seems to be a lot in the area I'd be qualified for), we'd be able to cover it.

I hear the medical isn't great out there -- my mom has a friend who says the facilities aren't that great.  Any thoughts on that?  Another person told me AZ has a problem with drought?  Is that true.  You never hear anything on the news about AZ, just the southeastern States.  I've also heard the bugs are bad, but as long as it's easy to keep them out of the house, that should be no problem.

I'm really looking forward to some place where the weather is better than Michigan.  We only had maybe three weeks of weather in the 80's and 90's this past summer.  And don't even think there's been a fall.  We're going right into winter.  With the loss of my extra poundage, I need warmer weather than that :)

I know exactly where Big Rapids is.  I'm working in Mt. Pleasant right now, and my nephew goes to Ferris.

Thanks again for more insight into AZ.

Cathie
Ann M.
on 10/23/09 1:20 am - Peoria, AZ
Cathie, there are some good hospitals out here.  There is the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale and within 10 miles of Sun City you have Banner Del Webb, Banner Boswell, Banner Estrella, Arrowhead and a couple others.  I have found a good bariatric surgeon who takes "out of towners" when no one else will, I found a PCP who I just love (thanks to someone on this board) and have found other great doctors out here for heart (Cardiac Care Consultants, Dr. Petein) takes care of my hubby. 

I wouldn't trade being here for anyplace else.  If you're looking for a job, try Jobing.com.  They seem to have a good variety of jobs plus you don't get all the other ads and stuff for schooling that others have.  You can also try my bank, they're still hiring.  Go to midfirst.com and then careers.  They don't pay a heck of a lot to start but they have great benefits including a 75% match up to 6% on the 401k.

Email me at gabby1219@yahoo. com and I can answer more questions and ask them about what you're looking for in a place to live.  I don't think you're going wrong moving out here.  It took us about 5 months to sell our house in Stanwood but the price was right so we could get out from under.  You might also consider renting your place out thru a reputable realtor until it can be sold.  Hoping to hear from you soon.

CathieCAN
on 10/23/09 1:48 am - Lake, MI
Thanks again, Ann.  You're very helpful.  The information about the hospital, especially a good heart hospital, is just want I want to hear.

Not sure if we're going to be able to sell our house, but at least we owe less on it than it's worth.  The problem would be finding a buyer, especially with the economy.  The only good thing about the house (and probably the bad in trying to sell it fast), is that we're out in the country with few year round neighbors.  We're in an association with a lake and many things to do.  I like the idea about renting it, which would probably be easier to do.  There are a lot of things my husband and I are going to have to figure out, and not much time to do it.

I've been looking into rental properties in AZ and was very surprised to see that a lot of them take pets (we have two dogs).  They are very reasonably priced, too.  It's hard trying to figure out where we'd want to live 'cause we don't know the areas and I'd hate to get in a location where the neighborhood is bad.  Where you live, if one of the owners is over 55 and the other isn't, are you banned from living there?  Just curious.

Thanks.

Cathie
Ann M.
on 10/23/09 1:12 pm - Peoria, AZ
Nope, as long as one person is over 55, you're good to go.  There's lots of good recreation out here.  If you're renting, it's only $420 a year but you have access to all the clubs, pools, tennis, golf, mini golf, etc.  Here's a website to check out.  http://www.suncityaz.org/  We love living here.  If you have any area in mind, just email me and I can tell you whether it's good or not (usually).  There's some areas you want to stay away from but the over 55 communities are in the good areas.  There's Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grand and Sun City Festival.  The regular Sun City is cheaper housing than the others, Festival is out in BFE and Grand is hoity toity but has nice houses.  There's a nice rental house just down the street from me that's very reasonable.  Usually you can get them between $650 & 900 per month.  FlGail found a rental with a pool & garage but it costs a bit more but is very nice because it has a large backyard that is fenced for their dogs.  There is a dog park here, most median strips are where people walk their dogs.  I have 4 and everyone stops and watches us walk.  They can't understand how I can control 4 at one time.  Practice, lol.

Email me and I can tell you more.  Ann

Most Active