How long after surgery could you long-distance travel?

AZsheltiemom
on 9/24/09 6:58 pm - Yuma, AZ
This might be the wrong place to ask this question, but I was wondering .... after your surgery, how long was it before you could travel long distances? 

I am hoping to have my surgery just after the first of the year - rny laproscopic is the plan.  Since my doctor states she would prefer I be off work for a total of 6 weeks, I thought I might take a trip to see my fiancee in France during those final weeks. 

I figure the definiative answer would definately be from my DR, but what they heck, I thought I would ask.

Lois

JRinAZ
on 9/25/09 7:37 am - Layton, UT
On September 25, 2009 at 1:58 AM Pacific Time, AZsheltiemom wrote:
This might be the wrong place to ask this question, but I was wondering .... after your surgery, how long was it before you could travel long distances? 

I am hoping to have my surgery just after the first of the year - rny laproscopic is the plan.  Since my doctor states she would prefer I be off work for a total of 6 weeks, I thought I might take a trip to see my fiancee in France during those final weeks. 

I figure the definiative answer would definately be from my DR, but what they heck, I thought I would ask.

Lois
I'd worry most about blot clots.  Maybe week 3 of your recovery?  in 1st class so you could stretch out??  ....France on the liquid phase though?  Bummer!  LOL!  And...that is generally the "walk and toot" stage so y'know what altitude does to gas build-up?  There's no escaping  However, some time with your fiancee could possibly cure anything that ales you, right?

Congrats on your surgery!  Keep us posted!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

AZsheltiemom
on 9/30/09 11:48 am - Yuma, AZ
Thanks for the responses ... but I guess I jumped the gun a bit.  My fiancee came home on vacation and broke off our 10 yr relationship. 

dbuckeye
on 10/1/09 2:34 am - Sun City, AZ
I'm sorry.  Sure he lost a great women.
AZsheltiemom
on 10/8/09 2:21 am - Yuma, AZ
Thank you.

buckethead
on 9/26/09 1:09 pm - TX
A few weeks
sunshine86
on 10/26/09 2:43 am
I'm sorry your relationship didn't work out :( I'm sure there's someone wonderful in store for you!!!

As for traveling... I waited about 3 weeks to go on a weekend driving trip to Show Low.... and did just fine.

For a longer flight to visit family, I waited about 10 weeks.

I had the band so it might be a bit different... but I found that right after surgery, I was really tender where my port was.... so it was hard to sit up for hours at a time.

Also, I'd definitely recommend investing in a couple pairs of stretchy yoga pants.... or even maternity pants with the comfy band.... makes healing a LOT more comfortable. I tried to wear jeans and the band was just not comfortable for the first few months.
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

Most Active