Hindsite is 20/20!!!

JRinAZ
on 9/22/09 3:50 am - Layton, UT
Are you happy?

Would you have chosen the same type of WLS?

Has your support system worked for you?

What are your struggles?

What do you celebrate most about having had WLS?

What new thing is on your bucket list (must do in this lifetime) that you wouldn't have been able to do without a weight loss?

Come on out and share some chatter with us!

Happy 1st Day of FALL!!!!

C U at support group tonight with Dr. Goodhall as our "therapy facilitator"!!! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

beckipoohbear
on 9/22/09 6:46 am - AZ
I'll bite!!

I am extremely happy, this is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

I chose to have RNY and I would have chosen that again.

My support system has been fabulous!  I have been extremely open with those in my life about my surgery and they have bee nothing but supportive of my choices.

Struggles...that is harder since I really haven't run across any major difficulties in this process.  I would say my biggest struggle tends to be controlling my intake of simple carbs but as my weight is maintaining at a place I am happy with, I don't monitor this very closely.

The thing I celebrate the most about having had WLS is having my life back.  I can walk up a flight of stairs without being winded, I can exercise and I enjoy it, I am much faster walking around places like Disneyland, I can play with my nephew and my dog without getting tired.  All in all, I enjoy being half the woman I was a year or so ago.

The newest thing on my list that I wouldn't have been able to do is I am running a 1/2 marathon on Halloween and the PF Chang's 1/2 marathon in January (and I am toying with upgrading to the full marathon depending on how my Halloween 1/2 goes!)  I hated exercise before, particularly running and now I find I thoroughly enjoy it and if I can't get out on a run, I really miss it.

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you out there!!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

JRinAZ
on 9/22/09 8:55 am - Layton, UT
I LOVE that you're going to be in a 1/2 marathon!!!  Kudos to you! 

I'm just nosey y'know but I love hearing how people's lives are going....how they've changed....how they're suceeding! 

I am soooo jealous of your running!  When watching marathons on t.v., I'll admit I've NEVER seen an obese runner!!!!  Weigh 2 go Miss Becky!

Huggggzzz!
Joyce 

JRinAZ
on 9/22/09 9:03 am - Layton, UT
Are you happy?  Almost always!

NOPE!  I would have had a duodenal switch from the very start!

The support that I created for myself has been a lifesaver!  ....  My family, well.....my DH rocks but some family members always have digs layered under their comments.

What are your struggles?  CARBS!!!!!  They totally call my name and lately I've been listening!  ....  But today?  Pure protein and determined!!!

What do you celebrate most about having had WLS?  Ditching the diabeties!  No more insulin shots!  woooo Hooooo!  .....  stylin clothes options is fun too......the list of things I can do now is very long but the one that makes me smile every time is when I can snuggle my grand babies close to me cuz I actually have a lap now!!!!

What new thing is on your bucket list (must do in this lifetime) that you wouldn't have been able to do without a weight loss? 
I still need/want to go sky diving!  .....  And...I want to climb the zillions of stairs and do the back bend in Ireland so i can "KISS the Blarney stone"!!!

Joyce 

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 9/23/09 12:24 am - Tucson, AZ

Are you happy? 

For the most part I am, but I need to lose about 15 pounds.

I chose RNY because at the time I only had two choices and thought it was the best for me.  I would probably chose RNY again for the same reasons.

My support system has not continued to support me as it did in the beginning.  Most of my support is from the OH site and my good friends in the Phoenix area.  There are times when I wish I lived there rather than Tucson because there are many more support options within reach there.

What are your struggles?

I have many of the same issues as Joyce, especially the carb monster.  I need to get back on track and lose that 15 pounds.  I sure could use some suggestions and ideas on menus (and something I can cook for my husband and my granddaughter without having to make several meals). 

I don't experience as much pain anymore from the arthitis and Fibromyalgia.  No more BP meds, although my Thyroid mediciation has increased.  I also enjoy shopping now, whereas before I hated it.  I love all the compliments I get and especially love the ones I get from the granddaughters.

Hiking and just plain sightseeing and being a tourist and enjoying myself.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

liveinphx
on 9/23/09 11:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
Are you happy?
I am generally happy most of the time

I had the sleeve done in Mexico and would unquestionably do it again. I was not comfortable with a malabsorbtive procedure and was concnerned about problems I observed Band folks having. For me the sleeve was the perfect solution.

I have a great support system some post op folks bur more so with my friends and "family of choice" who know me and applaud my successes.

What are your struggles?
I too struggle with making good/healthy choices all the time. I do not restrict carbs per say but I do pay attention. I try to keep my carbs around 100 gms per day which is what my nutritionist suggests, more when I am working out. I also struggle not to get in to a "I must deprive myself to be successful" mind frame.

I celebrate the new me that does not need a CPAP machine or high blood pressure meds. I celebrate being able to walk without turning red, sweating and sounding like a steam engine when I breathe. I celebrate feeling full faster, staying full longer and being satisifed with "normal" portions of food. I celebrate not having to restrict what I eat to certain foods or having to fear other foods.

I would like to return to Peru and hike Machu Picchu.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/09 8:01 am - Phx, AZ
Are you happy? 
Not anymore.

Yes to the RNY.  NEVER NEVER NEVER to the ERNY!!!!!!!!!

No. 

What are your struggles?
The complications of practically NO small intestine has affected everything about the functionality of my body...my bone marrow, my red/white blood cells, hemoglobin, hematocrit, edema in my body, rising blood sugars due to the severe bacterial overgrowth in what is left of my small intestine, waning eyesight, hearing loss, subsequent deep depression... but most importantly NO quality of life any longer... having to quit my job to just maintain my ability to live.  So, no I am not happy.

Nothing today.

Reverse my revision...sorry.
JRinAZ
on 10/6/09 8:15 am - Layton, UT
On September 29, 2009 at 3:01 PM Pacific Time, Lizzie wrote:
Are you happy? 
Not anymore.

Yes to the RNY.  NEVER NEVER NEVER to the ERNY!!!!!!!!!

No. 

What are your struggles?
The complications of practically NO small intestine has affected everything about the functionality of my body...my bone marrow, my red/white blood cells, hemoglobin, hematocrit, edema in my body, rising blood sugars due to the severe bacterial overgrowth in what is left of my small intestine, waning eyesight, hearing loss, subsequent deep depression... but most importantly NO quality of life any longer... having to quit my job to just maintain my ability to live.  So, no I am not happy.

Nothing today.

Reverse my revision...sorry.
Hey pretty girlfriend!
I'm sorry you've had such a miserable time of it!  Holy Cow you've been dumped on by one thing after another!

I'm sure it's difficult to find one thing to smile about but I'm wishing you the best and sincerely hope the great docs around our state can line up a fix for you.

Huggggzzzzzz!
Joyce 

iisme
on 10/4/09 2:05 am
Are you happy?

Yes, I would say I am happy with how my life is

I'm not sure about that. DS looks to have better stats yet my insurance wouldnt cover it. Not sure I'd get to where im at now with the sleeve. The band...forget it. I was so sold on it and now I thank God everyday I didnt get the band. (no offence meant to you bandsters, there are very valid reasons such as my insurance now having a WLS exclusion. So my fills wouldnt be paid for and if something went wrong that it had to be removed I'd be back at square one)

I use OH as my support. Yes, it works for me however I need to reach out in my community more for groups to actually go to and not hide behind my computer.

What are your struggles?

Carb.....carbs and carbs.  I still have yet to eat anything with more than 8 grams of sucrose in it. Yet to touch a cookie, cakes anything like that for fear of dumping. Heck, I dont even know if I am a dumper yet and Im nearly at 9 months now!

Feeling beautiful again, feeling feminine and liking what I see staring back at me in the mirror.

Ummmmmm havent really experimented yet!  But believe me I will soon!

10 pounds loss pre-op
JRinAZ
on 10/6/09 8:34 am - Layton, UT
On October 4, 2009 at 9:05 AM Pacific Time, iisme wrote:
Are you happy?

Yes, I would say I am happy with how my life is

I'm not sure about that. DS looks to have better stats yet my insurance wouldnt cover it. Not sure I'd get to where im at now with the sleeve. The band...forget it. I was so sold on it and now I thank God everyday I didnt get the band. (no offence meant to you bandsters, there are very valid reasons such as my insurance now having a WLS exclusion. So my fills wouldnt be paid for and if something went wrong that it had to be removed I'd be back at square one)

I use OH as my support. Yes, it works for me however I need to reach out in my community more for groups to actually go to and not hide behind my computer.

What are your struggles?

Carb.....carbs and carbs.  I still have yet to eat anything with more than 8 grams of sucrose in it. Yet to touch a cookie, cakes anything like that for fear of dumping. Heck, I dont even know if I am a dumper yet and Im nearly at 9 months now!

Feeling beautiful again, feeling feminine and liking what I see staring back at me in the mirror.

Ummmmmm havent really experimented yet!  But believe me I will soon!
Weigh 2 go!!!!   I love your description of "feeling feminine" again!!!  .....those are feelings that I have started to take for granted and yet painfully missed for so many obese years!

Kudos to you for hanging out with us on obesity help!  But.......join us in person at a support group!......nothing can fill your cup better than that!

Joyce 

Most Active