Lab band or sleeve in Mexico?

liveinphx
on 8/30/09 9:24 pm - Phoenix, AZ
On August 30, 2009 at 8:07 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:

You said:
"I am also somewhat offended  by the comment you made earlier about a surgeon here being able to consult with the original surgeon because they both spoke English."

Nope, I never said that.  I have always been very careful to never even say "Mexican surgeon"...I have always referred to "any surgery outside of the U.S." ...that could be Canada, Spain, Brazil, etc. Whether or not anyone speaks English, German or can't speak at all has little to do with the situation.

You Said:
"Also who the heck is the person you referenced in you previous post. I still have NO idea who she is or what she had to do with the discussion"

Read the entire thread.

We diagree.  Period.  Be well friend. 

While it is true you never specifically said Mexican surgeons it is still offensive to me that you believe that any surgeon outside of the US would not be able to communicate with a US doctor. Surgeons outside of the US can and do speak English and can and will communicate with a US surgeon in much the same way a US surgeon would communicate with another US surgeon.
Thanks for clarifying the Betty situation I had read the original post just did not remember the name.
Let's just agree to disagree

Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Betty S.
on 8/27/09 6:26 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi Mary;  I had a lapband with Dr Joya in 2005.  Great people, great hospital...total cost was 8K...

but....
I had complications...and even though my primary care doc tried to find somebody to look at me here, no one would TOUCH me.

so, back to Mexico for revision surgery.  Dr Joya didn't charge me, but between the airfare and hospital, it was another 3K

Guess what?  I DIDN"T get better.  My PCP said I would die if I didn't have it removed, because I could keep nothing down at all.
back to Mexico, had surgery to remove the band.  Another 4K...and a very depressed Betty.

so....I'm in the hole 15K for something that didn't work.  My belly is covered with little incisions from the 3 surgeries, and the resulting scar tissue made my RNY this year take longer.

I have NO problem with Dr Joya and his staff- they were the best!  And honestly, the hospital care was better than any I've had here in Arizona.  But it's the aftercare/complications part that is spooky. 

just my experience.

liveinphx
on 8/27/09 9:59 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I had the sleeve done in MX with no problems at all. My surgeon and the hospital were top notch and I got much better care there than I have ever had in a US hospital. The sleeve requires very little medical aftercare and the complication rate is lower than with the band or the malabsorbtive procedures such as DS or RNY. One of the main reasons I chose the sleeve was because of many problems I saw folks were having with the band regardless of where they had their surgery.
Many of the surgeons in MX are more experienced, have done more sleeves and have been doing the procedure much longer than US surgeons, especially those in AZ.
Travel to most parts of of MX involve only a short flight so no long travel is involved.
I was self pay and got an excellent, skilled, experienced surgeon, a great hospital with attentive  caring staff and an incredibly successful outcome for about a third of what I would have paid in AZ. 9K vs 21-25K.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
JRinAZ
on 8/27/09 11:56 pm - Layton, UT
On August 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM Pacific Time, Betty S. wrote:
Hi Mary;  I had a lapband with Dr Joya in 2005.  Great people, great hospital...total cost was 8K...

but....
I had complications...and even though my primary care doc tried to find somebody to look at me here, no one would TOUCH me.

so, back to Mexico for revision surgery.  Dr Joya didn't charge me, but between the airfare and hospital, it was another 3K

Guess what?  I DIDN"T get better.  My PCP said I would die if I didn't have it removed, because I could keep nothing down at all.
back to Mexico, had surgery to remove the band.  Another 4K...and a very depressed Betty.

so....I'm in the hole 15K for something that didn't work.  My belly is covered with little incisions from the 3 surgeries, and the resulting scar tissue made my RNY this year take longer.

I have NO problem with Dr Joya and his staff- they were the best!  And honestly, the hospital care was better than any I've had here in Arizona.  But it's the aftercare/complications part that is spooky. 

just my experience.
Betty,
So I sit next to you at support group and didn't even know all that about you!  We need to share some history girlfriend!  LOL!

Bummer you had to go through all that!  .....Darn....that money could have covered your plastics IN the U.S.

Hugggzzz,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 6:34 am - AZ
On August 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM Pacific Time, MaryQB wrote:
Does anyone have any experience?

What doctor did you use?

When was your surgery?

What surgery did you have?

How much did you pay?

I couldn't suggest a band in Mexico due to the aftercare but a sleeve is totally doable.  There is no aftercare except for labs and you can do that through your PCP.

It is NOT medical malpractice that doctors won't see banded folks they did not band, it's a financial issue.  Since when are Mexican Nationals refused medical care because they had surgery in Mexico?  It's a crock.  I am not saying I blame US surgeons for not doing follow up care on Mexican banded folks, I just wish they would start being honest about it.  The money is in the surgery and not the aftercare.  THAT is why they won't see people they did not band.

However, in AZ we have several people that will do your aftercare for a band.  My pick would be Berger and his partner in Flagstaff but Orris and DeBarros will also do it.  There is an NP that comes to Mesa monthly for routine fills and FillCentersUSA just opened up a couple more locations in the valley.  Dr. Fang will not do routine aftercare but he will see you for inpatient emergencies.

With that said I wouldn't get a band.  Aftercare for life.  Sleeve, you are done for life.

I went to Alberto Aceves in Mexicali, driving distance from Phoenix.  He is FACS and much more.

I originally had a band (hated it) in 12/06 and later revised to a sleeve 6/08.

I paid $7800 for my band but it's down to $6500 now.  I paid $9500 for my sleeve but it's down to $9K now.

PM me if you have any questions.

Most Active