Chandler Support Group Reminder!!

JRinAZ
on 8/24/09 12:49 pm, edited 8/24/09 12:55 pm - Layton, UT

Reminder
  Chandler WLS Support Group

OPEN to EVERYONE! 
FREE!  & Peer Facilitated.

4th Tuesday of every month at 6 pm,

Chandler Regional Hospital on Frye and Dobson.
Enter from the East Main Entrance by the E.R. and take the elevator's to the lower level.  Head towards the pharmacy and make a quick right to  conference rooms 1 and 2.

We are a fun, supportive and experienced group!

Tomorrow night's topic:  Friend or Foe?  "Weeding out our gardens.  Surrounding ourselves with positives!" 

.....surprise GUEST speaker:  Christine Sohl-Walt:

She is a very successful WLS post-op with all kinds of experiences to share! 
If you are a newbie then she will inspire you!
If you are one of our seasoned vets who hasn’t been for a while then she will be a familiar connection!
If you are just considering WLS then she has worked in 2 Bariatric programs and can shed some light on your upcoming decisions!

Do NOT miss this FUN evening together!!!!

We always leave time for discussion, Q & A & visiting

Optional for even more support:  We'll wander over to Applebee's on Chandler Blvd afterwards.  They have SOUP for liquid phase, FISH for lean and healthy and all other kinds of flavors.

Hugggzzz,

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mgamine
on 8/25/09 6:53 pm - Mesa, AZ
 Hi Joyce

I haven't been around much, but I've been thinking of trying to make a support group.  Am I remembering correctly that there is also a group at the Banner Gateway hospital open to all?  Not sure if I'll be able to make it for certain, but am really thinking I may need to in order to get all of this regain back off! (Thank you freakin pain meds, etc.)

Chelle
JRinAZ
on 8/26/09 12:26 am - Layton, UT
On August 26, 2009 at 1:53 AM Pacific Time, mgamine wrote:
 Hi Joyce

I haven't been around much, but I've been thinking of trying to make a support group.  Am I remembering correctly that there is also a group at the Banner Gateway hospital open to all?  Not sure if I'll be able to make it for certain, but am really thinking I may need to in order to get all of this regain back off! (Thank you freakin pain meds, etc.)

Chelle
Hiya Chelle!
You missed the BEST meeting last night!  It totally kicked my motivation into overdrive!  LOL!

O.K. so, here's the current list of all support groups.  If they are on this list then they are open to everyone!  (not sure about the Tucson groups)

SEPTEMBER 1st are the next meetings!  Banner Gateway and AZ Grads at different locations.  Either my hubby or I facilitate the Grad group at Phx St Luke's but I usually attend the Banner cuz I LOVE their NUT, Donna!!!!

C U SOON!!!!

Support Group Information - (those who attend support groups are those who obtain their weight loss goals and maintain for a lifetime!)

Pick a group and pencil it in! 

Own your success!!

Protect your health!!

Celebrate your life!!

Pay it forward!!

Tucson Area:

St. Joseph's also has one on the 1st Tuesday of the month at 6:30-8:30 at the St. Joseph's Auditorium.  All are welcome Dr. Blackstone Support Group in Tucson is the 1st Saturday of the month to be held at Sherton on Grant Road from 10:00-11:30.  The is for SBC patients only.

St. Joseph's is the last Saturday of the month at St. Joseph's Auditorium from 10:00-12:00 open to everyone.

Tucson NOAG is Last Thursday of the Month at 7:00 at UMC Rm. 5408, open to all. 

----

NorthWest meeting 7-8:30 PM each 3rd Monday of the month at the Northwest Medical Center Classrooms A-D 6200 N LaCholla Blvd. Classrooms are off the main lobby behind the cafeteria. New attendees in classroom D at 6:30 PM.

---- Eastside meeting 7-8:30 PM on the first Tuesday of each month at Evangelical Covenant Church, 551 N. Camino Seco, between Broadway and Speedway, on the West side of the street. As always new attendees will be at 6:30.

Phoenix Area:

**Chandler WLS Support

- 4th Tuesday at Chandler Regional Hospital, 6-7:30 pm  OPEN to ALL!  Peer Facilitated. Frye & Dobson. Enter from East Main entrance (by E.R.) and take elevator’s down to conference rooms 1 and 2

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chandler_WLSSupport/join  

Banner Gateway Support -

**1st and 2nd Tuesdays 6-7:30 and **3rd Weds 4:30  Professionally faciliated.  OPEN to ALL (room down from the cafeteria)

http://www.bannerhealth.com/_Bariatric/Bariatric+Center+Loca tions/Banner+Gateway_Bariatric_Center/Patient+Support/_Suppo rt+Groups.htm

**AZ Grads of WLS -

1st Tues, 5:30 at Bridges Centre, Phx St Luke's.  OPEN to ALL who are 1 year post-op,  Peer Facilitated: usually by Joyce or her hubby, Jim 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/JRinAZ_group/discussion/ 

Come to GRADS then stay for the general support mtg @ 6:30!

Bridges St Luke's in Phoenix

- 1st Tuesday at 6:30,  OPEN to ALL, Professionally facilitated

CLOSED/CANCELLED!!   Bridges at Mountain Vista - 2nd Weds, 6:00, OPEN to ALL,  Professionally facilitated.

Sun City - 
second Saturday of the month at 10;30 - noon. We meet in the Sun City room at the corner of 103rd & Coggins.  If you have any questions of comments, please email Ann or call  in the evenings at 623-249-4924.  

Paradise Valley Hospital Support Groups are now being held at Paradise Valley Hopsital. They are open to all patients and are topic driven. Healthcare providers will help facilitate the support groups. All are welcome and they are FREE of Charge. The same speaker/topic will be for both sessions. The topic will be approx 30 minutes with open support discussion following

When: 2nd Tuesday of the Month 6pm - 7:30pm Modular Classroom 3rd Saturday 11am-1pm Cafeteria Classroom

Where: 3929 E. Bell Road. Phoenix Corner of Bell Road and the 51

**WLS West Valley Support Group:
WLS West Valley is a support group that meets twice a month on the first and third Saturdays (July & August are 2nd and 4th Saturdays) of each month. It is a group designed for people who are pre-op or post-op for any kind of weight loss surgery.
The meetings are PEER FACILITATED, FREE, and will be held at Banner Estrella Hospital in the Conference Rooms located at 93rd Avenue and Thomas Road from 10:30 AM to Noon. The conference rooms are located just west of the main hospital entrance
We look forward to meeting you! 
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/WLSWestValley/

**Dr. Schlesinger AND Dr. Simon's General support group

2nd Saturday of every month! from 1 to 2:30

ROOM 208 at Tempe St Luke’s 
(all welcome) 

**Doc’s: Schlesinger & Simon's:

**Revision & HM Support Group:

the 3rd Thursday of each month from 6 to 7:30 pm,

Room 207) at Tempe ST Luke’s this is PEER FACILIATED, FREE and specifically for those who have had a Highly Malabsorptive procedure (ERny, DS or Revision to either of those). 

OPEN to ALL! (Wondering about a revision yourself?  This is a low key approach to getting some info from Peeps/Peers!) 

There are other support groups in these areas that are affiliated with Bariatric programs and are closed to guests unless you are attending with one of their patient’s specifically. They are great programs….

**And…there are other support groups spattered around the state outside of Tucson and Phoenix. For instance, check out: http://tricitywls.com/ This Prescott Valley group totally rocks! A fun day trip could include a trip to visit them. Get out of the heat, see their fun city, enjoy a dinner out and then join them for an evening of support! I’ve done that plan and LOVED it!

Questions?  (all groups listed above are FREE) **denotes groups I plan on attending! 

So, can I save you a seat?......

Shoot me a note at: 
[email protected] OR [email protected]

Joyce 

mgamine
on 8/27/09 12:59 am - Mesa, AZ
 Thanks Joyce.  I'll have to see who's willing to take me--assuming I can keep my head at a reasonable roar.  Due to my medications I'm not driving & my family/friends don't let me go much of any where alone thanks to some past incidences.  I'm going to try to make 1 as soon as I can.
JRinAZ
on 8/26/09 12:51 am - Layton, UT
Chandler Support Report for August 25th!

Christine Sohl-Walt spoke to our group.  She is amazing!  Her knowledge of ALL weight loss surgery types combined with her experience and personal success as a post-op of 4 plus years filled our meeting to long past quiting time!!!  THANKS CHRISTINE!!!!

We decided to feast on the words last night rather than the Applebee's selection and had a fabulous discussion; benefiting all of us there!!!!

It was soooooo good to see some of our original Chandler founding friends and get caught up on their very active lives!  Kudos to you Wayne, Christine, Ellen and Jim for your many years of post-op success!!!!!  Wow!  Gary!  What a treat to see you again!  Good luck with your research:)

It was nice meeeting Kay who was just 2 weeks out of her Rny surgery with Dr. Juarez!!!  She's on target and ready to hit support groups and stay focused for the long but amazing ride!!!  .....  Warm welcome to Cynthia who is mulling over the long list of choices available to her and working out some of her inner anxieties before taking the leap to the O.R. table!!!  Stay with us Miss Cynthia so we can support you along your way!!!  I"ll save you a parking place next time!  *winks*

Kudos to the rest of us attending to get our support cups filled and to help hone in our focus until we meet again!!!  (Theresa, really?  Another pound?  Soooooo....you have officially lost 1 more pound than me with your lapband!!!!!  Weigh 2 go!!!!!  -169 lbs!!!!  High Fives girlfriend!!!)

We had a room full of fun!  We learned that this journey lasts forever and not until a craving hits, or drama comes into our lives, or the window of opportunity shuts, or our pouch stretches a bit, etc.  Planning for the changes ahead and knowing that the tool is NOT going to do all the work for us; ensures long term success!!!!

Our Chandler Group Totally ROCKS!!!!!  ......We are "melting away in AZ!!!"  We've been there, done that and have the T-Shirts!  (let me know if you'd like one too!)

NEXT month:

Dr. Janie Goodhall, clinical psych for the Banner Gateway program,  will have an open discussion with us on stress eating!  Whew!  ....just in time!  Those Holiday's and party pressures and gift worries and family tensions are looming around the corner!!!! 

This is a very rare gift since meeting in this type of setting is usually a huge out of pocket expense.  Circle the date (always the 4th Tuesday....next month:  September 22nd)

Haven't come for a while?  Be honest with yourself!  Will you benefit from attending a support group where you can share your struggles, get kudos for your success, receive updated information, be inspired, make friends with folks who walk in similar shoes.....etc?????  ...OR...how about "giving back" to newbies like other's have given to you in the past?

C U soon!!!
Joyce 

Most Active