starting over

jgowan
on 8/23/09 4:01 am - Sierra Vista, AZ
hi,about three years ago I went through the long process of getting approved for the R&Y. But was denied,so here I am again. I originally planned for go to St. Luke's Hospital in Phoenix but now I am closer to home in Tucson.  went to Northwest Hospital for the first seminar and I am liking the gastric sleeve. Has anyone been approved through BS BC of AZ. for this surgery? Any advise would help...GOD BLESS
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/09 2:42 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
From what I have been told ( I have a friend also in SV who is getting the surgery, ) is that pretty much most insurances are not covering the Gastric Sleeve because it is still considered "experimental". I am assuming you mean Blue Cross Blue Shield? I am not on Arizona's, but on CA and was told they were next to identical when I wanted the Gastric Sleeve and neither would cover the Gastric Sleeve ( Arizona was compared to my California plan at the time until we for sure got the info for the CA plan since the person I spoke to was more familiar with the AZ plan).. You might have a better chance getting approved for RnY... Either way I have learned to pay attention to every detail on your coverage because you never know if something might play to your advantage!
Betty S.
on 8/24/09 6:36 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi;  I have BCBS AZ, and my policy excludes the sleeve as experimental.  That is really the first part of the duodenal switch, and my insurance DOES pay for that, but they required a bmi of 50+.

juniecat
on 8/25/09 1:43 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
Hi,
I have BCBS AZ but I think it also depends what plan you have as far as what is covered. I got my band with my plan which is a PPO. Had to pay $1000 access fee. I think that fee may also apply to RnY.
I used to live in Sierra Vista too, but moved my way up the state thru Mesa and now Prescott Valley. My surgeon is in Phx but I think he also does surgery in Tucson.

Junie >^,,^<

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 6:40 am - AZ
On August 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM Pacific Time, jgowan wrote:
hi,about three years ago I went through the long process of getting approved for the R&Y. But was denied,so here I am again. I originally planned for go to St. Luke's Hospital in Phoenix but now I am closer to home in Tucson.  went to Northwest Hospital for the first seminar and I am liking the gastric sleeve. Has anyone been approved through BS BC of AZ. for this surgery? Any advise would help...GOD BLESS

BC/BS of AZ does not pay for sleeves.  Fed BC/BS does but not BC/BS of AZ.

People have appealed, done peer to peer appeals, nothing worked. :o(

ginau
on 8/27/09 9:32 am - mesa, AZ

You may want to call and check with Dr Blackstones Ins girl. They do a lot of sleeves procedures and have been able to get ins approval, But I am not aware of specific plans.  Good Luck on your Journey and keep us posted.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active