APPROVED

dmwilson
on 8/22/09 12:40 pm - tucson, AZ
Sandra my patient advocate from Dr. Juarez's  office called me friday with the good news on my approval, My approval only took 2 weeks. I did not have a requirement per my insurance for a phsyc eval but now Sandra told me I have to have one per the hospital requirements. I live in Tucson does any one know of a phsycologist in tucson that does WLS evaluations.

Thanks Diane
jgowan
on 8/23/09 1:19 am - Sierra Vista, AZ
Diane, Congrats on the approval. I to am just starting out and wondred if you had any advise. I went to Northwest Hospital for the gastric bypass seminar last week. I think I am suppose to wait for the Dr.s office to call me to schedule and appointment. How long was your process? Did you get approved in just two weeks from the first appointment? Do you have your date yet? And what are you having done the lab band or the r&y? I am very excited and a little scared so any advise would be a huge help. Thanks Jessie
mamapeach
on 8/23/09 1:32 am
Jessie, I went to on there in July ,it took about a week for them to call me for an appointment. I go next Thursday to see Dr. Burpee.
Diane, I notice your profile says Dr, Burpee but you mention you are having Dr. Juarez do your  surgery. May I ask why the change in surgeons ??
dmwilson
on 8/23/09 2:36 am - tucson, AZ
Yes, I had my original RNY with Dr. Burpee in Nov. 2005 lost 130lbs. Then just the last year I have gained 40 pds. I noticed I had no more restriction in my stomach and I was constantly vomiting and it wasn't because of food it would occur when I was asleep the nausia would have me jumping out of bed. So I researched my symptoms through obesity help and found others with these symptoms. Dr. Juarez is in Pheonix and specializes on revisions had many tests done by him and found that my stomach and stoma are overly enlarged and the vomitting came from my stomach producing to much acid and to release made me vomit something horrible. So now I will be going in for repairs to reduce the sizes  of the stomach and the stoma again which will contain the acid. Not all Dr.'s do revisions but a few in Pheonix do I am attending St. Lukes Medical. They have been wonderful and my whole process has taken only 2 months. My insurance has sent  hospital approval for surgery and I was notified fri., But according to the hospital requirement I need to do a phsyc eval because the one I took in 2005 is to out dated so waiting to complete that then I will be ready to schedule surgery date.

Good Luck to U on your new journey It's a GOD sent for us who need it.

Diane
kathleen-ann
on 8/26/09 1:22 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
What kind of test do they do to show your stomach and stoma enlarged..and how long after the 1st surgery did you notice these symptoms..
Cause I am looking at a revision..for the same reasons and almost same symptoms...
DID You say BC/BS would pay for revision? 
huggies
JRinAZ
on 8/27/09 12:28 am, edited 8/27/09 12:29 am - Layton, UT
On August 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM Pacific Time, kathleen-ann wrote: Hiya Kathleen-Ann!

I am sooooo lame with procedure names!  LOL!  Since I've worked in the biz for a few years, you'd think I'd get it all pegged down, y'know?!!!

I remember the test was at a X-ray facility and involved swallowing stuff then quick pictures to check for rapid emptying, etc.  I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time to take a look (checking for bowel obstruction and anything visible on the way down your throat)  I think that if they're checking for ulcers or whatever in your blind stomach (part that's not being used and has been transected away), then they may require an MRI.

Others Experiences may vary and since my Revision process lasted a couple of years....I may be leaving things out? 

Did you know there's a Revision support group in the valley?  We meet on the 3rd Thursday of every month at Tempe St Luke's at 6 pm.  It's called the "HM" support group = Highly Malabsorptive whi*****ludes Distal Rny, Extended Rny and Dudenol Switch or DRny, ERny, & DS.  It's not exclusively revisions but it seems to have a majority.  We'd love to have you come..in fact we had another gal who drove all the way from Prescott and said she'd be coming all the time!

BC/BS definitely can pay for your revision if you meet their criteria.  Standard criteria is:

1.  the same as a 1st surgery, i.e. BMI over 35 with co-morbidities, history of wl attempts, etc.

OR...

2.  Medical Necessity (your surgeon will help you determine whether this is true for you or not).

Revision surgeon's in the valley:
1.  Dr. Eric Schlesinger (most volume and excellent reputation- more revision options)
2.  Dr. Juarez, good surgeon but does NOT offer an ERny:(
3. Dr. Simpson (good surgeon for specialized option of band over Rny)

I hope that helps!  Let us know how we can support you!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

dmwilson
on 8/27/09 1:01 am - tucson, AZ
Dr. Fang did an EDG which determined my pouch and stoma. My simptoms started about a year ago but I really did'nt understand it because I've had such great success. I've put on 40lbs and had no restriction and the vomitting is what had me most concerned. My Insurance is UHC and they have approved 100% no problems surgery date still to be determined.

Diane
Deanne K.
on 8/28/09 10:25 am, edited 8/28/09 10:30 am - Tucson, AZ

Kruger, Daniel E PhD
Psychologist (520) 296-9223      6612 E Carondelet Dr Tucson, AZ

He was the only one I could get that would do an evaluation for revisions.  He is very good to talk too.  He probably will be at the St. Joseph's support group/potluck tomorrow morning at 11:00 if you are interested in meeting him.  He has no connection with any particular program and is willing to help anyone.  He doen't take all insurance, but his fees are very comparable to others that do the evaluations.  He is usually cheaper if you have a copy of the report from the previous evaluation as he won't make you take the 450 question test again.  He isn't always booked solid either.  You will probably have to leave a message, but he will return your call, if you tell him what you need.

Best of luck Diane
Deanne

dmwilson
on 8/29/09 4:33 am - tucson, AZ
Thanks Deanne,
I did find a Dr. who will be seeing me on the 9/1 her name is Dr. Abtin my patient advocate at Bridges found her, and she is in my Insurance network so that was a plus.

Thanks for responding
Diane
Most Active