Question for all DS's and ERnyer's.......

Nancy S.
on 7/27/09 4:05 am - Mesa, AZ
What 5 things so you wish someone had told you about right after your High Malabsortive surgery that you really needed to know? thanks! Nancy S.

ReCurve
on 7/30/09 11:13 am, edited 7/30/09 11:13 am - Peoria, AZ
The pain from the surgery was my only real surprise. They said I would feel like I had been run over by a truck. I have a pretty high pain tolerance "even my dentist says so", but to date I have never been run over by a tuck.
When I woke up I was ready to eat a bullet right then and there. I felt that way for about 4 weeks. I have sense learned morphine and lortab do not work for me. So my advise to you would be thoroughly look into the pain management part of the surgery before you go under the knife. 
Don't get me wrong the pain was my fault, I tried to grunt it out instead of just telling the Dr. I was really hurting.
The next complaint or problem I had heard about, but once again it was a bit of a stretch to wrap my head around was the hormones. I had heard about them being stored in your fat then flooding your system during rapid weightless. I put off the description as board Hus frows whining about their husbands type of deal. Lord was I wrong.
They hit me like a freight train.
The extra testosterone was OK on one level."I felt very alive again" But I think I was pretty heavily loaded with estrogen as well, that one was "for lack of a better word" a ***** If you so much as forgot to put a lemon in my ice tea I was ready to climb through the drive Thur window and squeeze your throat till your siblings started choking" The 3-5  months of potential rage was quite surprising. I have a new found respect for my dear wife's monthly bill you might say. It was puberty times 3.
Vitamins and protein shakes I knew would be a pain, but I did make them a habit and do pretty well with them.
Wish you the best and hope this helps.

Nancy S.
on 7/30/09 11:17 pm - Mesa, AZ
Thank you so much for responding!!! I really appreciate it. I posted the same question on the DS forum and all I got, for the most part, was hate speech about ERny's and what a big mistake that was and the crazy Dr in AZ who does them??????? I know everyone is usually particular  about their own surgery but I was not comparing the two procedures only asking for insights, like YOU gave me.

I have had a complete Hysterectomy 20 years ago so the only thing hiding in my fat is more fat.
But it's pretty common to have mood swings after any major surgery because of the trauma and surgery drugs so I will try to keep aware so I don't take it out on the unsuspecting UPS man delivering my vitamins.
Thanks again! Nancy S.

JRinAZ
on 7/31/09 1:44 am - Layton, UT
Ahhh Nancy!  Sorry you had a run-in with the DS zealots.  The thing is, there are thousands of wonderful, helpful DS'ers and a handful have to make the entire bunch seem nasty!  Just be careful how you post and you'll get all kinds of help.  Flatter first and then ask your question!  LOL!  As long as they realize that YOU know that their procedure is superior to all others then you can usually have a decent conversation!

The thing that I wish I would have had from the starting gate of my ERny is a network of people in the same boat.  There wasn't a support group just for us then.  Now there is and I LOVE being able to discuss our specific issues amongst knowledgeable friends (and Dr. Schlesinger is there as well!)

3rd Thursday of every month:  Revision and Highly Malabsorptive Support Group,  6 pm in room 207 at Tempe St. Luke's. 

C U there!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Nancy S.
on 7/31/09 2:39 am - Mesa, AZ
Oh it's OK,  I know the Erny is right for me... well it should not be long now, have seen Andi, the nutritionist, had my pulmonary clearance and have my stress test next Wednesday and have already had my PCP sign off for the surgery. Then it gets submitted to cigna and away we go...can't wait for an actual surgery date...I am so mentally prepared for this to happen. I will be at the HM group assuming I am not in the hospital by then! lol ( wishful thinking! ) xo Nancy

Most Active